Instructional Design Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Instructional Design Interview Questions

Instructional design interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

I think it's inappropriate to ask applicants to donate two hours to an online assessment pre-interview, at the start of the interviewing process. It seems arrogant, and impersonal. I'd be fine with 20 minutes. Two hours is too much, and likely hurts P2's reputation with applicants.

6 Answers

I don't agree with you. This kind of tests beats any reference or experience ever. Those who pass them will never face situations like "who the hell hired this retard?". That's the purpose, to get rid of dumb people who know nothing (or almost) about nothing, but who have very nice references or even experience, diplomas and who were lucky to fool some other employers. You cannot fool these tests, they are basic and not meant to select high IQ people, but rather to eliminate those somehow mentally or culturally limited. There's no rocket science just arithmetics and some geometry or alphabetical judgemental problems, nothing more.

@Carbonate, in your original post, you state "This kind of tests beats any reference or experience ever" and you casually refer to "retards", "dumb people" and "the mentally and culturally limited". I think you meant to say "this kind of test" not "tests" and references to "retards", "dumb people", and the "mentally and culturally limited" are unprofessional, not to mention impolite. Statistically, it’s probable that one of your peers may have a developmentally disabled child, sibling, or other relative. So who hired you at P2, or are you in senior management there? Because, apparently the testing doesn't weed out bigots, loose cannons, and those who cannot use correct English grammar. On the other hand, an effective behavioral interview, along with a shorter version on the test, might.

Also, @Carbonate, based on your writing skills, I think you must be an engineer, and either educated in a non-English speaking country, or just careless or deficient in your writing and editing abilities. In your original post, you wrote "to get rid of dumb people who know nothing (or almost) about nothing, but who have very nice references or even experience, diplomas and who were lucky to fool some other employers". This is clumsy and suggestive of an ESL writer, and would be better expressed as "to get rid of less intelligent people who know nothing (or almost nothing) but who may have very nice references, or even experience, diplomas, and enough luck to fool other employers" And do you really value a two hour online test over great experience, education, and references? What about poor test takers or test anxiety? Your comment, "There's no rocket science just arithmetics and some geometry or alphabetical judgemental problems" would be correctly written, "There is no rocket science on the test, just arithmetic, and some geometry and alphabetic judgement problems" My point is not to be unkind, but to make the point that making engineers answer short essay questions, and evaluating their answers on grammar, style, and spelling as well as content, would be equivalent to making non-engineers take the quantitative, logic test that P2 administers all applicants. Furthermore, you say, "You cannot fool these tests". Are you kidding? If I cared enough, I could take practice tests based on the sample questions. But what would really help would be to gather answers from your test readily available online, and to gather friends to act as divide and conquer lifelines while taking the test. The latter two means ensure that if you really value the test so much, you are hiring many dishonest, questionably qualified people. So to my original point, what your test is accomplishing, among some valid goals, is ensuring that you hire practiced quantitative test takers, people who are desperate enough to crawl though your online obstacle course, and unscrupulous cheaters in all P2 positions, including non-qualitative roles. As a prominent side effect, again, you are putting off many applicants who will feel that it is arrogant to ask for two hours of volunteer test taking before one gets to speak to a human being at your firm. It's P2's prerogative, of course, but in my opinion, misguided and ineffective.

Have you worked with xyz software packages.

2 Answers

Just scenario-based. Asked about ISD theories and practices. Typical.

2 Answers

What would you do if.... (projector went down, lost power, computer froze, class got out of control, etc)

2 Answers

What kind of phone do you have?

2 Answers

Hand off/workflow preferences to Flash developer?

ADDIE Experience?

1 Answer

How long would it take for you to....?

Tell Me About Yourself

1 Answer

They asked me what superpower I would choose if I had unlimited options. It was about as unexpected as possible.

110 of 435 Interview Questions