Interactive Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Interactive Designer

Interactive Designer Interview Questions

Interactive designer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

While reviewing one of the websites in my portfolio, she asked a question about a detail in the design and wanted to know why I made that "choice." She wanted to know why I put the two-letter state abbreviation in front of the state name in a dropdown menu, rather than the other way around, on a specialized contact form that perhaps 50 people in the country would have any reason to use, if they visited at all.

1 Answer

I understand why she would want to understand the thinking behind my design choices, but this was a minor detail that was simply dictated by the client. It wasn't critical to the usability or visual design - it was a menu on a page that less than 1% of users would ever see and less than 1% of those users might actually use - requested that way because that's the way this group of people were accustomed to seeing it - and so my honest answer was that there wasn't really a complex process behind it because the client just wanted it that way because that's how they usually do it (and there was nothing "wrong" with that choice - it was just a one of the possible ways to present it). In retrospect, I probably should have quickly conjured up some grand BS about why I *chose* to do it that way...because I felt like that was one of the few times she tried to get inside my head to understand my design approach - but she squandered it on a trivial detail that really wasn't all that important and didn't demand a lot of careful consideration in the first place, so I was caught off-guard thinking, "Why is she asking about this? It's so inconsequential to the user experience..." On an otherwise rather complex site with dozens and dozens of actual consequential design choices that she could have asked about. Maybe she thought she was being clever by showing that "every detail counts" - which isn't wrong in theory - but in practice on a site with 1,000 design decisions, sometimes you do something "just because" it's got to be done some way and it just doesn't matter that much how you do it.

there is no any unexpected question at all!

1 Answer

The questions weren't difficult. It's what one would ask an interaction designer. Background? Resume? Walk me through your design process on this project you worked on. You get the gist.

1 Answer

What are you most proud of.

1 Answer

How many years of experience do you have?

Are you a perfectionist?

1 Answer

Have you ever been in a dysfunctional team? How did you deal with it.

2 Answers

Define good leadership.

1 Answer

Tell me a time when you had to overcome a problem with a client

1 Answer

Talk to me about a project you were on that failed and why it failed.

110 of 263 Interview Questions