IT Systems Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IT Systems Engineer Interview Questions

IT systems engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

1. I was asked to explain what FSMO Roles do within the scope of Active Directory. 2. I was asked to explain the differences between Fibre Channel SAN's and iSCSI SAN's.

1 Answer

1. FSMO is a very old term and is now called AD DS. I told the interviewer that I had no real direct experience with setting up FSMO rules and was completely honest about it. The fact is, as of 2005 the term FSMO has been deprecated in favour of operations masters. Had I been asked correctly about AD DS and Operations Masters, I could have easily explained what they are and what they do. 2. I have had no experience with Fibre Channel SAN's, and I answered honestly that beyond the physical connection they use; I had no experience with anything other than iSCSI SAN's but would love the opportunity to get my hands on them. I researched the differences beyond the physical connection and it used to be that speed was the biggest difference. But with the emergence of 10GB Ethernet, that argument is no longer valid. The other main difference is that Fibre Channel zoning makes heavy use of long hexadecimal World Wide Node and Port names (similar to MAC addresses in Ethernet) whereas iSCSI uses TCP/IP. In the end, the argument and question are kind of like the PC Vs. MAC debate.

Threw phone on table. Asked to name model and operating system. (This should have been the red flag....)

1 Answer

"Hi I am ____, I called to check if you are fit for this position or not'!! 'How to create SCCM package for software deployment' & 'What is IP and how it works?', where I was interviewing for Sr. Systems Engineer position and responsible for VMware, SAN etc.

1 Answer

I was asked a lot of questions regarding my comfort levels with multiple technologies. There were a lot of questions that were intended to feel out how willing I would be to learn new technologies or coding languages.

1 Answer

"You've been at your current position for several years, we're concerned that you're going to come in here and want to tell us how we're doing everything wrong and how it needs to change. Can you answer my concerns about that?"

1 Answer

They asked for me to talk about the technical depth for several of the items that I had shown on my resume, thankfully I was honest on my resume and was able to provide the right answers and subsequently received approval for the right job.

Ohio State or Michigan

1 Answer

1. ARP scenario based question. 2. Command to disable the interface on a switch. 3. DHCP IP conflict. 4. Microsoft Server experience. 5. 802.1ac 6. Cisco ASA firewall. 7. vSphere client questions. 8. Many more ...

how would you re-act to ... x/y situation .. .such as a failure of a server, or a failure in a network, do you feel comfortable documenting your steps, how much mac and windows server experience do you have .. what IP/UDp ports does telnet use or dhcp use or what rights are 444 or 555 how do you use grub or make or setup a new user in Linux Centos ...

1 Answer

Tell us about your most difficult work situation in the past 6 months?

110 of 34 Interview Questions