kCura Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.9

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

2 hr interview process, 1st with HR 15 mins, then Technical with two lead employers 1hr, then behavioral with manager 45 mins then follow up w HR again. Overall long interview, dragged at times waiting for people

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between asynchronous and synchronous mirroring?   Answer Question

Tech Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screening. 45 minute video interview with 2 employees. A written sample which was basically to test email communication skills. In person interview which was a few hours long.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what ping means? How would you set up SQL query? How would you troubleshoot if internet was not working? Where would you find error message?
      Why do you want to work here? Windows and network questions.   Answer Question

Full-Time Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

The whole process was fantastic! The recruiter I was working with was good about keeping me updated and was quick to respond throughout the process. Everyone I met with was genuinely excited about the company and patiently answered the many questions I had. It was a somewhat lengthy interview but they were good about asking if I needed bathroom breaks, and there were snacks and drinks in the interview room.

Interview Questions

• What were some of your key achievements in your latest role?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at kCura.

Interview

Very disappointing, expected a more generic technical interview based on CS fundamentals like Data Structure and Algorithm for the software company that it is, but instead seemed like a college viva with intense theoretical questions. Name different kinds of design patterns, give 2 examples of each...seriously? C# reflection methods, signature etc, might just refer to Microsoft documentation for that.

Interview Questions

• How to create an instance of an object in C# from an assembly, without access to the code   1 Answer

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone screen by recruiter followed by on-site interview by recruiting manager and various team members. It was very evident that the interviewing team was very well organized. They displayed high interest in ensuring that the successful candidate would be a great member on the team. Offer after interview

Interview Questions

• Describe your most technical software development task.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at kCura in April 2017.

Interview

First was filling out questionaire. Then two hanker rank questions. The questions are about processing data, then calculate degree from city. Then phone interview. I didn't do well in the phone interview. Mostly because I was hungry and tired and I did it in my car. The interviewer was very polite to answer a question although he wanted to end the interview. Although I think it takes way too much effort to get to a phone interview. And it's better to see the job description first before starting the whole process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at kCura.

Interview

I applied online through a job board.

My initial conversation was just a phone screen. The person who screened me expressed small concern that my last position was not in a place working with Test Driven Development but stressed that it shouldn't be an issue. They then had me do an online coding test after which he sent my information out to team leads to see who was interested as they had many positions to fill.

I then had an interview with a senior software engineer from a development team who came into the interview with no knowledge of me whatsoever. He told me that he was reading my resume as we went and had not seen it before. The coding test never came up and we never talked about any problem solving. He simply asked me about my most recent company and pretty much shut down when I told him it did not do TDD. He then told the internal recruiter with whom I had the initial phone screen to not put me up to any other teams because of this. In all it was a big waste of my time for something that should have been taken care of in the phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Determine the degrees of separation various cities are from Chicago by shared interstates   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at kCura.

Interview

The HR lady was genuinely nice and helpful in listening and answering questions. She needs to get out of kCura asap. They will never meet their hiring targets.

The hiring manager, who interviewed, was nice and seemed to have some experience.

It's fine to show potential candidates that kCura has a fun and young culture and I.Love fun and laid back culture. BUT the only 2 people who take technical interview are children fresh out of school, with 2 and 3 yrs of work experience in kCura. These kids behave like they are some super cool hackers from some kids movie. It's a waste of time for Sr. Engineers to be interviewed by children, who have no insight and hardly any experience. They don't bother asking questions about your experience and design decisions made etc. They will only ask 2 questions for which they are well prepared. It will help for Sr. Engineers (especially when they earn such high salaries) to also be interviewed by leads and tech manager.

Their interview questions are no big deal for Sr. Engineers and easily answerable.

Unless you are really interested in working with cocky cowboy coders or are fresh out of school needing experience, do not waste your time going for the interview here.

More recently, experienced people employed here, have been quitting within a year.

Too childish.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at kCura (Reston, VA).

Interview

The Interview Process (in a nutshell):
      - questionnaire
      - coding challenge
      - phone screen
      - in person interview (meet with several people, both engineers & manager/culture-fit)

The engineer interviewers were really smart, friendly and we had a good conversation. The other half of the interview (non-engineers) definitely was different. The office I interviewed with had been acquired by KCura within the past year or so and there are still some impedance mismatches.

I believe it's ok an organization should be protective of its culture-- and don't inherently have a problem with that they spent more than an hour on the culture part of the interview. Unlike with the engineers however, the culture interview wasn't really a conversation -- it was more a pass/fail test; (answer the question and move on to the next one--with little feedback as to what they were looking -- even when asked.)

The culture questions are what are called "behavioral questions" (google them if you'd like examples). I'd never had more than one or two of these in any interview and not being prepared with pat answers of the type they were looking for made the hour+ process of being asked them by a couple interviewers unpleasant and (based on feedback) was the key factor in not being given an offer.

So when asked about a communication problem you've had with a team-mate, they are probably looking more for the pat answer ("oh, we were talking about X and didn't understand it so we went to the whiteboard and hashed it out...") as opposed to the more memorable challenge you had where you and a co-worker never came to an agreement and the team was divided about the issue. While people might tend to remember the more notable exceptions, that is not what they are looking for. And not being prepared with simple examples of the day-in and day-out, I could only remember the problems I hadn't yet mastered.

Be prepared with some good and clear successful examples, and you'll do fine.

The coding challenge was a fun algorithmic problem that wasn't difficult.

They asked several architecture questions and questions obviously tailored for their environment-- despite that I wasn't interviewing for an architecture spot. That's because their lead/sr-engineer roles are fluid and so while you may be interviewing for a particular job description, they are evaluating you for many different needs/teams that they have internally.

So if you can be prepared to spend time focusing on things that perhaps aren't on the exact job you've applied for and/or are their area of interest. I find this helpful, because you mutually figure out whether it will be a fit or not (despite what the job requisition says).

Because I was unprepared for the behavioral questions and it was such a key part of the interview, it was rather unpleasant for a bit-- and set a bad tone for the rest of the interview.

Customer Success I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at kCura in March 2017.

Interview

I interviewed after attending and Open House at the company. The recruiter emailed to schedule a telephone interview. The recruiter was very friendly and professional. The interview lasted exactly 30 mins as she had stated it would. She was direct but not abrupt and seemed very knowledgeable although she mentioned that she had not been with kCura long. A few days later she emailed just to give me an update that she was sharing my resume etc. with the hiring manager and would be in touch. About 10 days after my inital interview I received an email to schedule a short call where she told me that the decision had been made that I lacked enough of the type of experience they needed for the position. I appreciated the call and the offer to stay in touch. I would definitely continue to look for positions at the company for something that might be a better fit.