kCura Interview Questions | Glassdoor

kCura Interview Questions

Updated Feb 17, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

They threw an offline HackerRank problem at me that was written like a comp sci homework assignment. You agree not to use any outside reference material, which leads me to wonder if they were to administer this test in person on a whiteboard whether they would honestly expect me to actually remember how to implement a graph algorithm I last looked at over 15 years ago and has arisen exactly zero times in my entire professional career. I've never experienced such an out of touch interview process in my career and hope never to again.

Interview Questions

• Do you remember esoteric graph algorithms from your college days?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Following a coding test on HackerRank, I was invited to a video conference interview that seemed to go well. The next day I was notified through the recruiter that I was not what they were looking for. The feedback they provided him was that I did not have enough design experience. There was also a comment about lack of experience refactoring software/designs. This left me quite confused as the interview didn't really cover either concept.

So, what happened?

The recruiter. In preparation for the interview, the recruiter told me that "topics could cover their entire stack, from C# to deep in the database" and "[they will] challenge you with a few OOP style problems." He also mentioned that "it will be helpful to review the [provided] job spec", which was quite generic but did mention "C#, ASP.NET, MVC, SQL Server." Finally, he said to be ready to discuss the experience on my resume. And in fact, none of these topics were covered in the interview.

The interviewer. Oddly, he asked no questions about the experience on my resume. Also, strangely, there were no OOP, C#, ASP.NET, MVC, or similar questions that the recruiter had suggested I be ready for. And the questions that were asked lacked context. For example, there was a question very much like, "Give an example of an algorithm you had to go back and rewrite and why?" Given the context laid forth by the recruiter and the job spec, I answered the question from a C#, class-level point-of-view. Feedback from the recruiter on this question following the interview was that I "seemed to lack the experience of performing a major refactor of an application." If the question had been given the correct context, I would have answered it differently. Maybe something like, "At an architectural or software design level, give an example of an algorithm you had to go back and rewrite and why?" I would have approached and answered this question much differently. And the majority, if not all, of the questions lacked such clarity.

The interviewee (myself). As I'm sure you can conclude from above, it appears I answered the actual questions in the wrong context. And as much as I wanted to answer questions on C# generics, explain why a unique identifier is a bad choice for a primary key column, or discuss cross-cutting concerns in muti-layered architectures, the questions never went that way. To my surprise, the 60-minute-long interview lasted 30 mins with not a single question directed at my past work.

Although my overall experience was not what I had hoped, there is some positive that can come from this...in the form of some advice. Advice for both kCura and future candidates. I myself have been interviewing candidates for well over a decade. Here are my suggestions for kCura interviewers:

1. If a primary goal is to determine someone's level of design experience, or any specific topic for that matter, then go ahead and mention that along with any such questions. Example, "I want to gage your level of software design experience. Can you give me some design pros and cons of a recent project you completed?" or better yet, go from the resume: "I see on your resume that you designed a centralized logging framework. Describe some pros and cons of its design."

2. If it’s clear you're not getting the answer your looking for, don't move on to the next question immediately. Instead, lead the interviewee a bit -- maybe they've unknowingly interpreted the question incorrectly. Give them an example of what you're looking for.

3. Walk thru the resume with the candidate, even if you didn't have time to review it in advance. Ask them to describe the projects listed. It will spawn new questions and give you a clearer picture of the candidate sitting before you.

4. If you've scheduled a 60-minute interview, use all 60 minutes. If you run out of questions, again, go back to the resume and ask the candidate to explain something in more detail. Show them they are worth the time.

Advice for kCura candidates:

1. Don't assume the context of a question if it wasn't provided -- ask that the interviewer clarify. You may answer the question incorrectly and not know it, leading the interviewer to believe that you don't know the subject.

2. If the interviewer doesn't discuss your resume, see if you can bring it up. It's the document that was impressive enough to invite you in; they should be willing talk about it.

kCura seems to be a good company. I hate to see them turn away potentially good candidates without realizing it. I hope my comments provide some insight and value.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of an algorithm you had to go back and rewrite and why?   Answer Question

kCura Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Dear Candidate, thank you for taking time to provide us with constructive feedback. We strive to create an excellent candidate experience and your input will help ensure we’re doing all we can to ... More

Director, Technical Architecture Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Intense and thorough. I didn't expect a Silicon Valley interview in Chicago! These guys are serious and very professional with deep reasoning. It was quite an experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a stakeholder you disagreed with and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a company recruiter and answered some high-level questions about experience. Next was a coding problem delivered through hackerrank.com. Next was a technical interview via video chat. The final step was an on-site interview with multiple components - company core values, more in-depth technical interview, more detailed questions about resume and past projects.

Though I did not receive an offer, I enjoyed the process immensely. It was carried out with high professionalism and it has challenged me to work on a few things for my own career.

Interview Questions

• Design Conway's Game of Life with emphasis first on game state decision, then software design principles to make the rules more flexible.   Answer Question
    • Design a system for downloading videos from Youtube.   Answer Question
    • What would <x previous manager> say was a weakness of yours?   Answer Question

Cloud Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

a company recruiter sent me an email on Linked In, we set up a phone interview the next day.
    The interview was about 30 minutes and general questions about my experience and how I handled different situations. Then I received a coding challenge on Wednesday afternoon and I had to reply by Monday. I responded with powershell. A on-site interview was scheduled next.

It started 15 minutes late, first with 2 managers about 'what makes you tick' for 30 minutes, then with two team members for about 40 minutes about core values, followed by 20 minutes with technical team, which was short of the planned 45 because of a production issue. Then there was a tour of the 3 floors that the company occupies. Last was 20 minutes follow up interview with recruiting manager, which felt more like interrogation asking me about the how the interview went, if I liked the company and if I would take the job if offered.

The worst follow up experience I've had. Basically nothing for few days, and when I asked for feedback, they said they'll call and they never did.

Interview Questions

• If youtube was closing in a week, and you had to get all the Cats videos and make them available for download, how would you approach the problem and what sort of issues could arise? how would you design the database?
      how would you scale VMs?
      what do you know about Chef and Jenkins?
      Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

one day, six interviews, one stop shop, very fast process, which I think is great. Get to meet everyone on the team and get to feel the work culture a lot.

Interview Questions

• values related questions, experience questions, situational questions   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

I'm submitting this review only to forewarn job seekers that my in-person interview lasted 5 hours (from morning to mid-afternoon) without any breaks offered. By the final hour, I was lightheaded and shaking from lack of food. I ended up not getting hired, but if I had, I seriously would've questioned how they treat their staff and clients. Did I expect them to take me out to lunch? Of course not. Yet even the most inhumane of airlines will toss you a bag of pretzels in that amount of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you managed to do more with less.   Answer Question

kCura Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Dear Candidate, We are sorry to hear about your interview experience. We strive to create a great environment throughout our recruitment and selection processes, but obviously you didn't feel ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I received a phone screen request from their recruiting team. I said yes, and passed that. I then got a HackerRank challenge that I found easy. I passed that and was invited onsite. The first part consisted of meeting with a Jr. Engineer. I asked questions, and answered questions regarding general things like learning, and what projects I've worked on. I talked about my compiler project, and it seemed to have thrown the Jr. Engineer off because I was applying for a web development position. He wanted to know about fun projects I've worked on.

The second interview was with a manager. This was purely behavioral and he asked me questions about my previous internships. Make sure you don't say anything negative about your past employers, even if your past internships had problems. He also asked my managers name at my previous internship. He talked about my past experience interning, etc. I don't remember too much from this. I'm not sure if his questions were trick questions, but I just tried to be straight forward with my answers. Don't do that.

The onsite technical interview wasn't particularly challenging as far as I'm concerned. It consisted of OOP questions, along with white board coding of classes to represent shapes. Then they asked me to design YouTube. They wanted you to clone YouTube, so I said I'd use the YouTube API to extract all the video URLS, and then download them locally. This would be the correct approach to use in the real world. However, they wanted me to build a Web Crawler, which was my second choice if the YouTube API wasn't available.

Unfortunately, I had to email the recruiters to find out their position on my interview and learned they were going forward with other candidates. In the end, I think it's for the best. Overall, they had a pretty cool office, but it seemed like they didn't have good work life balance, from how the Jr. Engineer would describe his various gatherings in work activities after work.

Interview Questions

• Name two high and low points of your college career?   1 Answer
    • How would you design YouTube?   1 Answer
    • Implement a Triangle class   1 Answer
    • How would you return the max value of a list of shapes   1 Answer

Education Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Had 2 phone interview, one with recruiter/HR and another with the Hiring Manager. Then brought in for a 4-hour in-person interview. I met in 3 rounds with members of the position's team. 2 rounds had to do with the Core Values, where they asked you questions describing your past experiences that exemplified their core values. Next, you had an insights interview with the hiring manager or senior members of their team, where you go in-depth and describe each experience on your resume. They ask you questions about each piece like what you were hired for, why you left, etc. Then, you finish up with HR where they ask about your interview process and give you a tour of the office space.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you went above and beyond in your job.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Very prompt and professional. They were never late for an email, phone call, or onsite interview. Very caring and nice people, they want you to succeed! The onsite interview was expense-free, but very long (about 2.5 hours), and you are interviewed by 5 different people.