Manager Business Analysis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Manager Business Analysis Interview Questions

Manager business analysis interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Capital One asks that you not give away their specific case questions, and I'm going to respect that. The standard interview is 2 behavioral interviews and 2 case interviews. The behavioral interviews are pretty easy. The best way to prepare is to have a series of stories from your career (6 or 7) that you can use to address the standard behavioral questions. The cases were harder for me to prepare for. I read a mix of reviews saying they were really easy or really hard. The CapOne sample case (as of July 2012) was ridiculously easy, but some of the Case In Point (a prep book for case interviews) were tricky. CapOne cases are different than the management consulting cases (from Case In Point) in that they tend to focus much more on math rather than on open-ended business thinking. Both of the cases that I did were break-even analysis, which means you just have to take the information you're given, compute profit, and then solve for profit = 0 as they tweak the parameters. I was really nervous on the first one, but I blew the second one away. They were, to me, very easy. The problem was that if you do well on the first 4 interviews you get a 5th interview (it's a 3rd case), and that's where I did poorly and didn't get the job offer. The problems were that the SVP they called in was kind of a jerk and that I was really tired after 4 interviews, lunch, and then an hour of just sitting in a tiny room waiting for that last interview. I don't know if him being a jerk was part of the test or not. Everyone else had been very friendly and helpful, but he was much more abrasive. He also took away my calculator. I had brought my own 'cause I'm comfortable with it and the first two case interviewers didn't mind at all, but he all but literally took it out of my hands as though I was intentionally cheating, and that really rattled me..

1 Answer

You are only given a third case interview if you marginally pass the first two interviews. the third was due-or-die.

How much did you make at your previous job?

1 Answer

Very standard BA interview process: (1) recruiter phone conversation; (2) hiring manager phone conversation; (3) Onsite interviews including multiple 1:1s interviews and then a panel interview with 6-8 audience Won't say it's 'unexpected' but the final onsite interview wasn't easy. First gone through several 1:1 interviews (both behavior and case interviews) and then gone through a panel interview: I was given 75 mins to create a business case including (1) a detailed financial model (pro-forma); (2) a business case presentation and spent the next 45 mins debating with the team on critical business questions in a panel interview They will provide raw data to the business case for the panel interview. Pay attention to: pro-forma framework, data integrity, strategic recommendations, and operational flexibility while thinking through the case.

1 Answer

The cases were quantitative and nothing like management consulting cases. One really tripped me up - had nothing to do with anything you ever learn in business school. Disappointed.

1 Answer

Be prepared to do a case study with multiple questions.

1 Answer

The questions weren't difficult. I interviewed with many different people. For the most part they were behavioral base. However, despite my multiple degrees and years of experience in manufacturing the plant manager wanted to "test" my knowledge and asked about plant budgets, definitions of types of cost (fixed, variable, direct, indirect, sunk...). The plant manager was very combative and disrespectful and seemed as if he was searching for a reason to dislike me. The other 4 interviewers were pleasant enough, straight forward and respectful.

Would you feel comfortable in working with IT to improve sales reporting? Have you done something similar before?

(Presented a sales chart that showed quarterly sales data of a product). Describe some reasons to explain for the fall of the sales in Q4 last year.

For a case: What number of people need to walk past this certain ATM in a given day for it to break even?

Case study 1 was about identifying the profitability per subscriber for Sirius XM radio. Needed to know how to determine revenue, revenue per sub, etc.

110 of 37 Interview Questions