marcus evans Conference Producer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

marcus evans Conference Producer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 26, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at marcus evans (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First, a phone call conversation (ca. 30-60 minutes) to learn about the candidate, describe the position, and test candidate´s ability to conduct phone cold calls.
Second, a one day home-take research case test.
Third, an in-person interview at the company office (normally a 1:1 interview), to review the results of the case test, meet the candidate, and wrap-up the description of the position.

Interview Questions

• How would you introduce yourself to a C-level professional during a cold call?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for marcus evans

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at marcus evans (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

First you receive the phone interview, then you are (or are not) asked to come in for a second interview. Interviewer was friendly for most of the interview. TIP: Before you accept an additional interview or the job look into the company and reviews AND be sure the job will suit you well.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Marcus Evans?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at marcus evans (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

the interview is broken down on 3 steps, phone interview, the second one is in person and they going to give you a project for developing in 48 hours. The last interview is face to face to defend your project and explain it. The project is about any topic and you have to develop 16 sessions with bullet points on it. Besides you have to identify via LinkedIn the more appropriate profiles to reach out and invites as speakers (at least 3). Your speaker must have the right job title and the companies that they work for must have the top ten of their industries.

Interview Questions

• How did you do your project
      What tools did you use?
      How did you find your speakers?
      Was it easy to do?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at marcus evans (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

You first receive a phone interview to qualify you for an in person interview, then follows an in person interview, and last you are given a project where you plan a mock event. You are usually given a day to complete the event, and my advice is to use LinkedIn as that is how the comprise all of their lead generation after you are hired.

Interview Questions

• Given your background what about this role interest you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at marcus evans (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

I received a voicemail around 4:30 pm so I responded about an hour and a half later when i had time, and was surprised that even though the building's switchboard said all businesses were closed, the recruiter was actually still at her office well after closing. I'm not sure if that should be surprising. The initial phone interview was kind of a standard explanation of the position, a bit of back-&-forth over my qualifications, until I was finally invited in for a 1:1 interview the next day.

At the 1:1, we talked a lot about the position, the pay structure, my qualifications again, and there were a few typical interview questions that I'll outline below. At the end of this interview, I was asked if I would be interested in pursuing the next phase of the hiring process by creating a mock conference agenda. Ultimately I decided not to because of the fairly dismal salary offer, for which there is zero negotiation. When I asked them what their training program was like, the interviewer said it was a three day crash course. I could only infer then, that after that, I would be thrown to the wolves to begin working on I know not what.

The salary structure is 30k/yr plus commissions. That said, you're going to be spending a lot of money either commuting to downtown or paying rent to live in downtown. Your check will also have your health/vision/dental insurance premiums taken out (you qualify for their insurance after three months), and finally there's your basic state and federal taxes. Considering that the first commission you could receive is only 6 or 7 months into the job (you spend 25 days making a conference, and then the sales and marketing team get 6 months to book guests for it; you get your commission when the event itself happens), this isn't much to pay bills and live on. Furthermore, the position is salaried but the workload requires a lot of overtime to meet their objectives. And if you commute, then you'll basically have no life outside of this job.

Interview Questions

• Aside from your fluency in your second language, what unique skill do you think you could bring to the firm that other candidates could not?   Answer Question

The salary is pitiful compared to the work/life balance (or lack thereof).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at marcus evans (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

first, one interview by phone, clarifying my goals and expectations and a brief of the position

then one to one interview and they ask me to do a "project" to show my language skills

second interview one by one again,

never call me to say yes/no

Interview Questions

• why I should be hired without considering my language skills (my strength for that position)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at marcus evans (Chicago, IL) in August 2009.

Interview

The interview was fine overall. I had to prepare a fake conference before I met with my interviewer. He liked my product as I walked him through it and asked me meaningful questions. Really it was a fine interview with fair questions asked of me. I wish the experience of the interview would have at all be replicated in my actual experience working for the company.

Conference Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at marcus evans (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Two weeks after submitting my application online, I received a call to discuss the role and was invited in a face to face interview. In my face to face interview I was asked why I wanted to work in corporate hospitality, whether I would be happy spending quite a lot of time speaking on the phone. Then I was asked some questions specific to my background and CV and I was given a project ( a brief to develop a mock conference) to work on for a week. A week later, I had to present my project and was asked questions specific to the brief such as 'why did you chose this speaker? which one of these speakers do you think would stand out to a potential attendee?' Overall, the experience was very pleasant and quick.

Interview Questions

• We like to work with people that have a specific can do attitude? Do you think you have that?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Immediate. I had an answer the next day.

Conference Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at marcus evans (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone interview: Very brief and on the spot, a matter of a few questions and then an offer to interview straight away.

Interview: Lasted around 30 minutes, really quite relaxed where two seniors asked generic questions over why you want to work at Marcus Evans, what attracted you to the role and then going through your CV.

Task Interview: I decided to not take part and quit before this stage; I'd already decided the position wasn't right for me. However, I do know how the next stage works. The company send you over a brief of a task. You have one week to complete this. Then, during the final interview you must explain why you chose the conference you produced, what reasons you targeted those speakers etc.

Interview Questions

• How is you're telephone etiquette?

[As a conference producer, you'll have to spend ~80% of your time on the phone, one of the reasons I was put-off the role. If you're not keen on cold-calling, I would stop now]
      Answer Question

Conference Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at marcus evans (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Received a phone call, the day after I applied. Was invited to an interview, were we went through my CV and a general chat about what I believe the role would entail, what I would do if I had to prepare for a conference I was uninterested in.

I received an invite to a second interview for which I had to create a mock-up conference based on a brief I had received. This wasn't very difficult either, you go through the line-up you prepared, your ideas behind it. If you are interested in the financial sector it is not an especially challenging interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most important quality of a conference producer?   1 Answer