Math Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Math Teacher Interview Questions

"Teaching math at the elementary, middle, and high school level is an involved position that requires patience and a commitment to helping each student achieve success at an appropriate level. Students often need extra attention in this subject, so employers are looking for instructors who not only have a firm grasp of their subject, but can also impart that knowledge in engaging and effective ways. Expect to answer questions about your teaching experience and style as well as how you would handle a variety of classroom scenarios. While teaching credentials are required at public schools, this is often not the case at private schools."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

How would you deal with a difficult student who is under-preforming?

1 Answer

I told a story about how I used to teach ESL abroad. On the first day of one of my new classes, a mom came to my office and told me she didn't think her son was smart enough to be in that room, and she didn't want him to feel embarrassed when he compared himself to the other kids. I told her he wouldn't have to worry about that, and stayed a half hour extra three times a week to make sure he caught up. By the end of the semester, he passed with the third-highest grade in the class. Honestly, just tell them a story that demonstrates your patience and willingness to spend extra time on a sensitive problem and you'll probably be saying what they want to hear.

What would your final grade be (for the year) for a child that scored averages of 18%, 68%, 70% and 72% (high school math)?

1 Answer

How would you handle it if you had a group of kids in line outside your classroom waiting to get to the next period and they were yelling and cursing and acting out (middle school in troubled neighborhood)?

2 Answers

How is my classroom management and how do you build culture in your classroom?

1 Answer

The school has fairly high academic achieves but we have some students who are tested at very low levels. -how can you teach these different levels in one class and reach your goals?

1 Answer

How would you have changed your instruction in the demo lesson?

1 Answer

Forgo academics; work to build "buddy relationships".

1 Answer

Describe the IEP process and its component parts and detail what is needed for each portion.

1 Answer

How will you use technology in your classroom?

110 of 99 Interview Questions