Math teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Math teacher Interview Questions

"Teaching math at the elementary, middle, and high school level is an involved position that requires patience and a commitment to helping each student achieve success at an appropriate level. Students often need extra attention in this subject, so employers are looking for instructors who not only have a firm grasp of their subject, but can also impart that knowledge in engaging and effective ways. Expect to answer questions about your teaching experience and style as well as how you would handle a variety of classroom scenarios. While teaching credentials are required at public schools, this is often not the case at private schools."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

How would you handle it if you had a group of kids in line outside your classroom waiting to get to the next period and they were yelling and cursing and acting out (middle school in troubled neighborhood)?

3 Answers

I said that I would handle it in accordance with the policies of the school. I fumbled the question - I do not have any in class teaching experience. I did emphasize that I would try to show the kids respect and not let the situation get to that point. They were waiting for a 'magic' answer that I did not know and eventually I stopped riffing and we went to the next question.

I would tell them to please be respectful to their peers. Since I stand at the classroom door to welcome students as they enter the room, I would also remind them that their warm-up activity is on the board.

I’d tell those student in what light others see them whenever they start yelling, cursing, and/or acting out. If they ever want anyone to take themselves seriously, acting out, yelling, and cursing isn’t the way. Some will argue that they don’t care of what others think out them, but the problem is that they do care or else those specific students would be one of the most silent within the classroom.

What would your final grade be (for the year) for a child that scored averages of 18%, 68%, 70% and 72% (high school math)?

2 Answers

How would you deal with a difficult student who is under-preforming?

1 Answer

Where should a teacher be in the classroom during class time? (ie. should the teacher stay up at the board, back at their desk or walk about the room)

3 Answers

What do you think went well with your demo lesson?

2 Answers

When is cos x the same as cos (-x)?

2 Answers

What are some ways you have implemented the use of technology in your classroom or plan to implement technology in the classroom in the future?

1 Answer

What is your teaching philosophy.

1 Answer

What is your teaching style?

1 Answer

What about the lesson did not work that well?

110 of 168 Interview Questions