Member of technical staff software engineer interview questions shared by candidates
How many race heats are needed to find the 3 fastest pinewood derby cars out of a field of 8, if only 4 cars can run at a time (assuming that every car will always run the way/speed and each lane is exactly equivalent)?
Each heat rules out 1 car (that cannot be one of the 3 fastest).
so is the answer 4 heat 1 (first 4 car) + 1 (4 second set) + 1( Top 2 from first + Top 2 from second set) + 1 (3 car heat among the 3rd placed car)
Only two races of four cars in each. Get the times of all cars and sort them. You don't need any more races because the times will be the same in subsequent races. :)
Nothing unexpected, just a question about cloning a linked list with an arbitrary pointer and to find an element in a matrix with elements sorted along the columns and rows.
1) Create binary tree from pre order and in order traversals 2) A question regarding dependency management (It was big use case description) which could be solved by two stacks 3) Graph traversal 4) Linked List node reversal of alternative node 1->2->3->4->5->6 would become 2->1->4->3->6->5
They asked coding questions as well as some design questions which we discussed as I coded it up on the white board. Lots of focus around distributed systems and thread synchronization scenarios. I had some good discussions with everyone I talked to, which made it overall a fun experience.
See Interview Questions for Similar Jobs
- Software Engineer
- Member of Technical Staff
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Software Development Engineer
- Senior Member of Technical Staff
- Staff Engineer
- Software Engineer Intern
- Staff Software Engineer
- Software Engineer III
- Principal Software Engineer
- QA Engineer
- Software Engineering
- Systems Engineer
- Senior Software Development Engineer
- Software Development Engineer II