Mental health counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mental health counselor Interview Questions

"Mental health counselors provide emotional counseling and guidance to individuals suffering from mental and behavioral disorders. Expect to answer questions that will assess your knowledge of disorders as well as your interpersonal skills to navigate difficult patient situations. As clients may display potentially harmful behavior, be prepared to discuss how you would offer adequate guidance to volatile individuals. In comparison to psychiatrists who are required to have a doctorate in order to practice, licensed mental health counselors must have a master's degree at minimum."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Interviewer asked how a Counselor should and would work with a family who doesn't respond to communication and doesn't show much interest in working with the School Counselor. Interviewer also asked how a Counselor should handle a case of suspected child abuse.

2 Answers

I would try to reach out to the parents in whatever way possible to make a connection with them in the hopes they would be more willing to work with me. I would also work more closely with the student to figure out why his/her parents are not interested in working with a counselor as well as what the extent of the abuse is. Every case is different, so it is hard to say what I would do if the student does not admit to being abused but I still strongly suspect it is happening.

After reaching out through phone contacts, emails, and mailed letters, I will make a home visit in attempt to visit with the family. I will discuss with the family any problems and together come up with a solution. I worked 17 years in CPS and our agency received calls of suspected abuse from schools. I will first discuss the concerns with my superior and follow their guidelines before contacting CPS.

What would you do if a client said they wanted to kill themselves, someone else, etc.

2 Answers

They asked me about the theories that I align with and what methods of counseling I am used to.

1 Answer

Had I ever been involved in an incident before? How do you think patient and staff relations can improve?

1 Answer

Have you worked on an inpatient unit before?

2 Answers

Why do you want to work here?

2 Answers

Have you ever been physically or sexually abused?

2 Answers

What type of clinical experience do you have in relation to this position.

2 Answers

There were no trick questions.

1 Answer

Where do you see yourself in five years? What do you know about the company?

110 of 131 Interview Questions