Mental Health Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Mental Health Counselor

Mental Health Counselor Interview Questions

"Mental health counselors provide emotional counseling and guidance to individuals suffering from mental and behavioral disorders. Expect to answer questions that will assess your knowledge of disorders as well as your interpersonal skills to navigate difficult patient situations. As clients may display potentially harmful behavior, be prepared to discuss how you would offer adequate guidance to volatile individuals. In comparison to psychiatrists who are required to have a doctorate in order to practice, licensed mental health counselors must have a master's degree at minimum."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Had I ever been involved in an incident before? How do you think patient and staff relations can improve?

1 Answer

Yes to the first question. and I think patient and staff relations can improve when you talk to the patient with respect and you treat them with respect.

What would you do if a client said they wanted to kill themselves, someone else, etc.

2 Answers

Interviewer asked how a Counselor should and would work with a family who doesn't respond to communication and doesn't show much interest in working with the School Counselor. Interviewer also asked how a Counselor should handle a case of suspected child abuse.

2 Answers

They asked me about the theories that I align with and what methods of counseling I am used to.

1 Answer

What type of clinical experience do you have in relation to this position.

2 Answers

Have you worked on an inpatient unit before?

2 Answers

Have you ever been physically or sexually abused?

2 Answers

Why do you want to work here?

2 Answers

How much experience did I have?

1 Answer

“Do you plan on getting pregnant?”

110 of 121 Interview Questions