Mental health Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mental health Interview Questions

"Working as a mental health counselor requires patience, compassion, and advanced communication skills. In an interview, expect to answer several scenario questions that will test your ability to evaluate patients accurately as well as recognize when a patient is at risk to himself or others. Make sure to showcase a calm and professional demeanor and be ready to answer questions about how you would handle a particularly stressful case. Before applying, make sure you've obtained a master's degree in counseling from an accredited institution."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Interviewer asked how a Counselor should and would work with a family who doesn't respond to communication and doesn't show much interest in working with the School Counselor. Interviewer also asked how a Counselor should handle a case of suspected child abuse.

2 Answers

I would try to reach out to the parents in whatever way possible to make a connection with them in the hopes they would be more willing to work with me. I would also work more closely with the student to figure out why his/her parents are not interested in working with a counselor as well as what the extent of the abuse is. Every case is different, so it is hard to say what I would do if the student does not admit to being abused but I still strongly suspect it is happening.

After reaching out through phone contacts, emails, and mailed letters, I will make a home visit in attempt to visit with the family. I will discuss with the family any problems and together come up with a solution. I worked 17 years in CPS and our agency received calls of suspected abuse from schools. I will first discuss the concerns with my superior and follow their guidelines before contacting CPS.

What would you do if a client said they wanted to kill themselves, someone else, etc.

2 Answers

They asked me about the theories that I align with and what methods of counseling I am used to.

1 Answer

Had I ever been involved in an incident before? How do you think patient and staff relations can improve?

1 Answer

Why should we hire you?

3 Answers

What would I do if I seen two patients fighting?

2 Answers

Tell us a little about yourself?

2 Answers

Are you Bi-lingual? Can you have a conversation with a spanish speaker?

2 Answers

Where do you see yourself in five years.

2 Answers

I was asked what my 5 year plan was, which is illegal.

110 of 789 Interview Questions