mophie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

mophie Interview Questions

Interviews at mophie

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at mophie.

Interview

Communication was very quick and I was in their office in a couple days. The interview process made me realize I do not want to work there though. I was sat in front of the interviewer who flipped through pages in a binder of technical interview questions. This led me to wonder whether I really wanted to work under this "technical" director. He was also surprised at how much I asked for in compensation and outright said no one he knows with 7 years of experience could be making as much as I do. At that point I was pretty turned off since I know how much a good developer is worth. The last part of the interview was with some suits who tried to trip me up with puzzle and logic questions. This was the last straw and I knew they did not understand how to build a good team.

Interview Questions

• The puzzle and logic questions. I did not understand how it relates to building business applications.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at mophie (Tustin, CA).

Interview

A recruiter recommended this position to me. First round was a 20 - 30 minutes phone interview. Then I went to on-site interview a week after that. Their office in first floor is a big and open room, with two lines of desks without cubicle walls.
    The interview was three rounds, with 2 people in each round. Each round was 45 minutes. I was asked about my resume in every round, and repeated my background for three times. The first two rounds were fine, friendly and pretty "normal".
    The "abnormal" one was the last round. One interviewer talked to me in a challenging tone since the beginning. He asked what I did in my last internship. The internship I did before was not one big project but many trivial things, so I looked at my resume to answer him. He suddenly interrupted me by grabbing away my resume, and said: "Look at us and tell us." Then he asked me to give a few examples. I could not remember because what I did are many repetitive trivial things like modifying hundreds of auto tests or fixing many simple grammar bugs, which I already told him for his first question, and I quit there long time ago. He said in an angry tone:"How come you do not know!" I remembered one method to explain them later, but I do not think they understand. He was still not satisfied. I said the system made by my internship company is big. He doubted it right away and said it is small, just based on imagination even though he never worked there before. I said it is hard to understand at the beginning. He YELLED to me: "I have a friend who works there. He is in charge of a whole category!" I explained that other coworkers also said that it is hard to understand at beginning, and he can ask his friend. This is quite insulting. I was just telling the truth. This interviewer had rude manners, full of arrogance, and frustrations. In the end, they asked me two technical questions. I was trying to explain my thinking, but he said in a frustrated tone: "Don't talk, just write it down!"
    Another thing is, almost each time after I answered, he laughed scornfully right away. He laughed for more than ten times, as if saying that how stupid my answer is, or I am lying. Because of the way he talked and behaved the whole time, I felt frustrated. So I talked faster unintentionally,but still in a calm tone, because I just wanted it to be over soon. So this made him more dissatisfied. After I explained an algorithm, he asked if I can write the code. I said that I can, but I need more time. Again, he gave me a loud scornful laugh. So when a candidate is confident, they only think it to be lying and deride it publicly.
    This two and a half hours interview was absolutely a disaster experience. It is like a police interrogation, instead of an interview.
    Maybe he is expecting a candidate with strong technical skills, but that does not mean he can insult the candidate as he wants. He needs to know the BASIC manners of being RESPECTIVE, NO MATTER a candidate is qualified or not. Besides, the low salary they offered does not match their expectations. If you want to be treated by a manager like this, try here. Read the 8 one-star reviews out of 22, you will find out that this unusual bad manner doesn't happen only once here. Mophie doesn't have the culture of treating people with basic respect.

Interview Questions

• How come you don't know! - They talk to interviewees with an angry tone and keep laughing scornfully publicly.   Answer Question

Hardware Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at mophie (Santa Ana, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

I was rejected right away by the HR at first round. Could not make it to the next round. But I'm happy instead, for my decision.

Interview Questions

• There was an HR personnel called me for the first-round phone interview. Without introducing herself, she came straight to the first question, which is pretty unprofessional, and the question is a little weird: do you like this company? and a few basic questions carried on asking me why I left my current company after only a few months (actually 8 months). I said I cannot drive from where I live to Arcadia (1.5 hours away in regular traffic) everyday. Then she just concluded that I'm not a loyal employee and this is not a good fit for me?! She also was not happy with my expected salary and she said that's not right in the market (where I've been in it for almost 10 years) in an uncomfortable tone to me. At this point, I already felt this is not the right place for me, no need to go further. Additionally, she did not seem pleased with my speaking because of my non-native English (I'm Chinese), even I've been doing just fine in several companies in my 10-year career. Fortunately, I now work for another firm with an even better compensation package (and fair in the market). It seems to me that mophie don't know clearly how much the right candidate worth, how to do a formal basic interview and respect the candidates, and have a lack of knowledge of the right price for jobs.   Answer Question

Sales & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at mophie (Tustin, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty quick. I had a 2 part interview by 2 different people, one right after the other. Right after my interview I was asked to come back the next day for my job offer and take my drug test. About a week later, I started working. It's a great place to start out and develop retail skill. If you're a hard worker, it's easier for you to move up in the company as positions become available. When you move up in the company, another interview conducted.

Interview Questions

• Tell of a time when you were faced with a problem and the solution wasn't obvious. What was the situation?   1 Answer

better offer

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at mophie (Tustin, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard and easy going. They asked me basic questions about microcontrollers, peripherals (both Analog and Digital) and ASICs. Nothing out of the ordinary. I believe they were or less checking against my resume. They were at the time trying to find out if I had experience with ASICs (SOCs) and if I understood high level design.

Interview Questions

• Basic processor peripherals, block diagrams, fundamental concepts. No design questions requiring "real-time" problem solution, complex math, or anything sophisticated.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at mophie in May 2014.

Interview

Weird Interview, Very off Track. Did not feel like the were trying to convince me to work there. Found out only after offered the job that they were actually subcontracting through local agency. Even the the local agency was never at the interview. Also terrible pay, zero benefits, and likely erratic hours.

Interview Questions

• Asked many questions about previous jobs which were not relevant.   1 Answer

Bad pay, using an external agency (even though it was not advertised that way). Hours not guaranteed and NO benefits.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I interviewed at mophie in July 2012.

Interview

There was two product managers who interviewed me together, then the CEO walked in and sat in the interview. The initial phone interview was pretty simple. I did not like the group panel format of interview as it feels like i'm being out numbered and difficult to respond to questions when they are asking in different directions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at mophie.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. First interview was over the phone with the HR recruiting manager. From there I was brought in for an in-person interview. It was consisted of 3 back-to-back panel style interviews, that each lasted between 30 minutes and an hour.

First interview was with 4 people, engineering director, senior product category manager, an HR manager, and the hiring manager. I felt very comfortable during the interview and not out numbered. Questions were typical, about my employment history, plenty of opportunity to ask them all questions to get a sense of the company, the hiring manager, expected level of knowledge/ability, the role, etc.

The second interview was with the CEO/Founder and hiring manager. The 15 minutes with him turned into 45. He's a very nice man, with a clear passion for his company, it's products, and a large vision of where to take it. It was a fun conversation.

The final interview was with another product category manager and an engineer. They asked me more technical questions, that tested my technical knowledge of the category. Nothing was overly technical and they didn't ask me any weird "why is a manhole cover round?" type questions.

All-in-all, while it was a long set of interviews. I think I consumed 2-3 bottles of water, but I came away feeling like I had a great time talking with interesting people.

Interview Questions

• When asked about a testing process, I had a little debate about a new testing process with the engineer. He was certain it didn't work a certain way and I knew it did.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was typical. A few rounds until we reached agreeable terms. Make sure all terms and promises are written in the offer letter (just good general practice in the negotiation process).

Customer Success Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at mophie in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from HR to set-up a phone interview. We both agreed that I was overqualified for the position but it sounded like the company has changed to become a good place to work so I said that I felt comfortable moving forward. She asked about my background and relatable work experience and explained the company and the goals for this role. I was notified a week later to have another phone interview with my would-be manager.

The second phone interview went well and was really easy. Shortly after, I was notified by HR via email that they wanted to proceed to an in-person interview that was set for a week after the email was sent. The company knew I was working full-time but they didn't know I had an out of town obligation during the date we agreed to have the in-person interview. But, I figured I could cut my work-trip short without having to mention it, come back a day early, and interview in person to really increase my chances. To prepare, I emailed HR 48 hours before the day of the interview to confirm and to ask for any parking instructions, etc. I had already cut my work-trip short, that was 4 hours drive away and finally heard from HR less than 24 hours before my interview time. She responded that they had to reschedule the interview because a member of the team was not available and that she would call me the next day with more information. She never called or sent a follow-up email.

I was extremely disappointed at the unprofessionalism and lack of communication. First impressions will always be a lasting impression, especially when your company's Glassdoor reviews aren't good by any means. Don't lead on your job candidates and follow through with what you say.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with or have experience with the following products: Magento, Salesforce, Zendesk, Tweetdeck, Amazon seller.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at mophie.

Interview

Phone call from hiring manager, followed up with a phone call from would-be direct manager, invitation to office (met numerous managers), invited for a lunch interview with 2 directors and COO, brought to office for interview with CEO and sit-in with co-worker and 1 director. Received a phone call directing me to an e-mail with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• If you accidentally purchased 10,000 ping pong balls (where you meant to purchase 100) and were not allowed to return them. How could you recover lost assets and de-clutter the office?   1 Answer