Systems Engineer Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Systems engineers work closely with systems analysts to maintain a company's IT system by developing the operating systems that run computers. Expect to be quizzed on a variety of technical questions that will test your knowledge of how computer systems work. Employers prefer candidates with a bachelor's degree in an engineering field and previous experience with technology.

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

What is the difference between RAID 0 & RAID 5?

2 Answers

It should a simple question if you have worked with computers & HDDs. RAID 0 - Block striping (req. 2 HDDs) and no mirroring or parity RAID 5 - Block striping with 1 dedicated parity drive (req. 3 HDDs)

To expand on the previous answer, RAID 0 improves HDD performance dramaticaly, but since there is no mirroring if one drive dies data is lost. RAID 0 should never be used on a system with critical data. In RAID 5, performance is slower, but it allows for the failure of a HDD with no loss of data. Consider instead, RAID 10. It requires a minimum of four HDD's, but provides an increase in performance with redundancy.

How do you handle irate clients that are having technical trobules and need to work immediately.

3 Answers

Why would you work here

name the 5 FSMO roles

2 Answers

No difficult questions. Just explained my past engineering projects.

2 Answers

Basically everything on my resume was fair game. They asked a lot about my previous experience. They asked me to describe the network environment I worked. They asked in-depth questions about the topology and why I made certain design decisions. We did a lot of white boarding and looking at ‘what if’ scenarios, both troubleshooting and design. They asked about my certifications, why I left previous jobs, and work ethic. The engineers were very detailed and I even learned a few things during the interview!

Some Behavioral Questions

1 Answer

What would it take for you to open a support ticket with an outside vendor.

1 Answer

Interview started with background questions on the previous job experience to start the conversation. Technical questions covered a few commands focused on accessing a typical system and followed with a candidate's step by steps approach to troubleshooting a web application. Some of the questions touched on upcoming projects to see how a database server would be setup and configured to evaluate your organization and thought process.

Conversational Questions