Payroll manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

payroll manager Interviews

Find jobs for payroll manager

Payroll manager Interview Questions

"When interviewing for a position as a payroll manager, be prepared to talk about tough situations that you have resolved in the past as well as you knowledge of the tools currently used in the process such as Microsoft Excel and other financial software. Payroll is a crucial part of any business and so employers will be looking for candidates who portray confidence and trustworthiness in their trade. CPP certification is a huge advantage in the hiring process as well as knowledge of payroll regulation on local, state, and federal levels."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Have you managed the entire payroll process from start to finish?

1 Answer

Yes, I have over 7 years of payroll management experience and I have mastered the entire process from back to front.

What would you do if on your first day you came in and had 60 emails and 20 voice mails and the phone was ringing off the hook?

1 Answer

Have you ever had to terminate anyone and how did you handle it?

1 Answer

Everyone was kind in the interviews. They have FOX NEWS playing in the lobby while waiting for your appointment which was rather daunting. i.e. "How can I ever work for someone with a FOX NEWS brainwashed mentality. That part was the scariest of all. They make you take a basic accounting principals written exam and then a 'Personality / Culture Examination' They won't tell you but I guess I failed the culture exam because after round 3 of interviews with the CEO and Board, they loved me but after the 'Culture Exam' I didn't hear back for a month. They did low ball the pay rate during discussion. In the end, I am happy that I wasn't selected. You see, my neighbor watches FOX NEWS religiously and we get into some heated arguments... I cannot imagine keeping my mouth shut when the CEO is of the same mindset. If you really want to work for them, learn how to cheat on the personality / culture fit exam.

3 Answers

How would my time be managed between the two locations?

2 Answers

How would I approach a delayed payroll filling.

1 Answer

Behavioral based questions. "In your past experience, tell us about a time where you received less than positive feedback about how you handled a situation".

1 Answer

They asked me to walk them through my experience and asked scenario questions that would give them an understanding of my work ethic and my ability to meet deadlines and be a team player.

1 Answer

Explain your contributions on the projects you have listed on your resume.

1 Answer

I was not really interviewed, since I already knew the owners and had worked in the industry we basically discussed the position and how to move forward if I were to accept the job.

110 of 93 Interview Questions