Pediatric nurse Interview Questions

Pediatric nurses care for kids in hospitals, doctor's offices, and other health care settings. They administer medication, conduct tests, and give many types of treatments. In a pediatric nurse interview, employers often ask questions about your medical experience and skills. They may also ask about the shifts you want to work and how you handle stress.

49 Pediatric Nurse interview questions shared by candidates

Top Pediatric Nurse Interview Questions & How to Answer

Here are three top pediatric nurse interview questions and how to answer them:

Question #1: Why do you want to work with children?

How to answer: This question helps employers learn more about your personality as well as your motivations. Answer with a personal story that explains more about you. For example, you could talk about caring for a sick sibling or having a great experience with a pediatric nurse when you were a child.

Question #2: How would you handle an uncooperative patient?

How to answer: Many kids are afraid of medical procedures, and they can become violent and uncooperative. This question lets you show that you can reassure patients and get them to cooperate for procedures like vaccinations or X-rays.

Question #3: At your last pediatric nursing job, what medical procedures did you conduct most often?

How to answer: This question gives you a chance to discuss your experience. Tell the interviewer about the tasks you helped with most and the ages of the patients you treated. If you don't have previous experience, talk about your education and any other jobs where you worked with kids.

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance|Popular|Date
University of Maryland Medical Center
Pediatric Nurse was asked...November 9, 2021

They asked me simple questions like “what was one of the most difficult decisions you’ve had to make” and “what was an interesting case you’ve seen”

1 Answers

I told them about a bleeding GI patient and the interventions we performed. Such as giving the patient IV fluids, checking their lab levels and eventually we even gave the patient blood because their hemoglobin was low. Less

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

How do you handle patient death?

1 Answers

I talked about my coping mechanisms inside (asking for easier assignments if needed) and outside of work (exercising, spending time w/family & friends). Less

Ro Health

Do you have experience with children? A pediatric school nurse works primarily one-on-one with medically fragile children or supports multiple children in a school health office.

1 Answers

Yes, I have background as a Middle School Teacher and as a private Mathematics tutor. Less

NURSES Etc STAFFING

Had I ever worked with children before?

1 Answers

Yes, I have worked with pediatrics for 7 years in the home health setting.

Milwaukee Center for Independence

they asked my experience of working with children

1 Answers

I had nice experience to work with Children at Children's Hospital and had chance to learn and see a lot of different skills Less

BAYADA Home Health Care

Why do you want to work in pediatric home health?

1 Answers

Referenced my 2yr history working for pediatricians office in nursing school, 6 years of pediatric intensive care RN, 2 years of NICU RN experience, and 2 years PACU and Shriners Hospital for Children. Citing my passion for family centered care and respecting the parent as a specialist in their child's care, I was eager to return to a rewarding field of serving children and families (5 years as an IV Team nurse in a primarily adult hospital.) Less

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Tell me about yourself. Why pediatric Oncology? How would your peers describe your communication style? Tell me about times you've dealt with a difficult situation?

PAR method Problem/situation Answer Resolution

Medical City Dallas

Do you prefer working worth adults or pediatrics? Why?

1 Answers

Pediatrics. I have two young ones of my own and being a mom I feel I have an advantage that people without children yet or men. It's instinctual and natural. Less

Advantage Nursing Services

Work experience

1 Answers

I listed number or years in nursing as well as number of years in pediatric nursing specifically. Less

Viewing 1 - 10 of 49 Interview Questions

See Interview Questions for Similar Jobs

pediatric rnnurse managernurse educatorregistered nursern clinical research coordinator