Scientist Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Scientist

Scientist Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA

"The questions you are asked in an interview for a position as a scientist will depend greatly on field of science you intend to work in. Generally, interviewers will be interested in your formal education, field of study and specialization, work, internship, and research experience, scientific writing skills, and interest in the subject matter. Expect to be asked technical questions that pertain to the knowledge needed to perform the duties of the job. While there are some positions open to scientists who possess associates' or bachelors' degrees, most jobs will require you to have at least a masters' degree with the majority requiring you to have a doctorate."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Programming question: find the number of connected components from 2-dimensional grid (mark 1s as component, 0s for others).

1 Answer

I did the program in Python quickly using 2D array search and if-else conditioning. The interviewer agreed with my solution. However, he did mention that if I can do it in C++, it will be even better.

Open question: can you describe some challenging problems you encounter and how do you solve it later?

1 Answer

How to train the first mono-phone acoustic model?

1 Answer

Do you have any experience with remediation systems?

1 Answer

Describe your resume. How well do you know the skills what is a value

The mostly just asked about the experiences on my resume. At the very end of the onsite visit the HR guy went through a couple of behavioral questions.

Which is your favorite algorithm and why? What is the difference between neural networks and deep learning?

If you get past the phone screen by HR, and the phone interview, possibly conducted by a panel pulled together by the hiring manager, you may be invited for an onsite interview. However, prior to this, they require you to input 5 references for a 360-degree review, and make your references fill out a survey BEFORE the interview. You will also have to do a lengthy personality/reasoning test online, again pre-interview. I can see how this may expedite things, but truly, this was a waste of time for my references; how disappointing that they do this.

110 of 34 Interview Questions