Principal Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Principal Engineer Interview Questions

Principal engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

1. Describe the OSI model layers and explain in details how it works and how it is used for troubleshooting.?

2 Answers

The OSI model is a networking concept. It consists of a number of discrete layers that perform different service, with each layer interacting on the layer above and below it. The OSI layer consists, from bottom to top, of the following layers: 1. Application layer 2. Presentation - how does is the data represented. 3. Session - how do you keep track of the state of the communications between devices 4. Network - identifies the devices on the network 5. Transport - how the data gets transmitted between devices. Also deals with ensure data is reliably transported, also if data is fragmented it ensure that it is reassembled in the correct order 6. Data-link - low level details on how to communicate with the network devices used for network comms 7. Physical - the actual physical hardware The OSI layer is *critical* in understanding how to troubleshoot network comms problems. As each layer deals with seperate issues, but relies on the layer below a good network troubleshooter will "walk the layers" when trying to troubleshoot a problem. For instance, if a network card is losing comms intermittently due to a NIC failure, there's no point trying to work out why the TCP MTU is wrong!

You transposed layers 4 and 5 of the OSI model (i.e Transport (TCP) layer is higher on the stack than Network (IP) layer). The definitions are still correct.

I was given a code exercise during the onsite interview. The questions are not very difficult and just unexpected. Also, some of questions themselves are not correct and I need correct the questions before answering them.

2 Answers

The VCR Plus feature was described. In the TV programming guide each program/show/movie had its own code. When user wanted to program the VCR to record a particular show she just had to enter the program code from the guide - no need to enter the start and end time. I was asked to design this feature. How can it be achieved?

3 Answers

oracle willing to do visa for me to get into US

Architecture

When can you join?

1 Answer

To describe in details what I know practically in engineering desing with DOE and DFM.

1 Answer

Lot of questions on core java

1 Answer

If you present your technical results to an audience, and they refuse to accept it, what would you do?

tell me about yourself