Product Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Product Design Engineer

Product Design Engineer Interview Questions

Product design engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

What are the different ways you can you tell if this part is steel or aluminium.

4 Answers

Simply by using a magnet, Steel has metallic properties, and the magnet will connect. Aluminium will do nothing.

Many stainless steel alloys are not magnetic, so if your magnet is attracted to the material you will definitely know it is steel, but if it doesn't you will not know what the material is.

Simple methods would be density (feeling the mass of the object), surface finish (color, texture). If coated that may give you the answer i.ie anodized would indicate aluminium. For more information I would go for EDX( Energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy) and possible a cross section to look at the grain structure.

If you have a cantilevered beam with a load at the unsupported end, what can you change about the beam to mitigate the effect of the load.

4 Answers

What are 5 different variables of a coil spring you can change to affect spring force?

3 Answers

If you and a large brick are in a boat floating in a pool, will the water level rise or fall when the brick is tossed into the water? What if the brick is a large piece of Styrofoam and thrown into the water?

6 Answers

You have 5kg of Aluminum and 5kg of Steel. You can make whatever cross section beam you want with these materials. If you have to make a cantilever beam 1m long with a load at the end. And you want to minimize the deflection. What material would you use?

6 Answers

If I have a solid rod and hollow rod with the same mass and I let them slide in a ramp. Which one reaches the bottom first and why?

5 Answers

If I need to make a cantilever beam 1mm thick and I only have 0.5mm sheet stock. How can I make a beam that has the same properties as the 1mm.

6 Answers

Questions that popped out as I can remember. 1) A cube (1-1-1m) of ice in a room (50C) sitting on a wooden table. the ice is 1m away from the walls around it's 4 sides, except for 1 side is 30cm away. You're given 2 insulating blankets (1m by 1m) that can be used to cover the ice block. The goal is to keep the ice in solid form as long as possible. Where would you put the blankets? 2) 2 rectangular beams, one is Aluminum a by 2b cross-section one is Steel a by b cross-section. If you were to climb a mountain and find these two sticking out on a spot where you need to rest, which one would you latch on to? 3) Interviewee shows a plastic part and asks: How do you think I built this part? What other ways can you think of this part could have been done?

5 Answers

How does the modulus of full hard stainless compare to fully annealed stainless?

5 Answers

We are throwing a ball into a friction-less cone, what should be the initial speed of the ball so it can orbit around the vertical axis of the cone indefinitely?

110 of 202 Interview Questions