Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Product Designer Interview Questions

"Product designers manage the design and development of all kinds of products across many different industries. Employers are looking for bright minded individuals with a passion for innovation and problem solving. To showcase these traits, go to an interview prepared to give examples of successful projects you have worked on in the past and answer some case studies on how you would approach designing hypothetical products."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Design an interface for a rail station ticket booth

1 Answer

There are a number of constraints you should make sure you understand before diving in. Really more an assessment of your thought process than the final design.

The collaborative task included choosing an existing digital product with a 'freemium' subscription model similar to Spotify and thought-storming ideas/solving issues around it.

2 Answers

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

What are the different ways you can you tell if this part is steel or aluminium.

4 Answers

If you have a cantilevered beam with a load at the unsupported end, what can you change about the beam to mitigate the effect of the load.

4 Answers

What are 5 different variables of a coil spring you can change to affect spring force?

3 Answers

If you and a large brick are in a boat floating in a pool, will the water level rise or fall when the brick is tossed into the water? What if the brick is a large piece of Styrofoam and thrown into the water?

6 Answers

You have 5kg of Aluminum and 5kg of Steel. You can make whatever cross section beam you want with these materials. If you have to make a cantilever beam 1m long with a load at the end. And you want to minimize the deflection. What material would you use?

6 Answers

If I have a solid rod and hollow rod with the same mass and I let them slide in a ramp. Which one reaches the bottom first and why?

5 Answers

If I need to make a cantilever beam 1mm thick and I only have 0.5mm sheet stock. How can I make a beam that has the same properties as the 1mm.

6 Answers

Questions that popped out as I can remember. 1) A cube (1-1-1m) of ice in a room (50C) sitting on a wooden table. the ice is 1m away from the walls around it's 4 sides, except for 1 side is 30cm away. You're given 2 insulating blankets (1m by 1m) that can be used to cover the ice block. The goal is to keep the ice in solid form as long as possible. Where would you put the blankets? 2) 2 rectangular beams, one is Aluminum a by 2b cross-section one is Steel a by b cross-section. If you were to climb a mountain and find these two sticking out on a spot where you need to rest, which one would you latch on to? 3) Interviewee shows a plastic part and asks: How do you think I built this part? What other ways can you think of this part could have been done?

5 Answers