Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions in Providence, RI | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Mechanical Engineer

Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions in Providence, RI

"When interviewing candidates for the role of mechanical engineer, employers look for candidates who are enthusiastic to create innovative designs, analyses, and methods of production for mechanical systems. Expect to answer engineering questions that will assess your knowledge of the field as well as your creative problem-solving abilities to turn a theoretical device into a real product. In addition, come ready to discuss examples of past projects or designs and how you would excel in a team-oriented setting."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

How do you determine the direction of fluid flow in a pipe without directly interacting with what's inside?

4 Answers

Measure temperature, noise, etc.

Relative height of two ends

Measure the longitudinal strain at two points along the path of the pipe. The flow direction will be from highest to lowest strain. Measures shear stress. Measure lateral strain like longitudinal strain, associated with fluid pressure. Pressure gradient will be from high strain to low strain.

Why did you not come to our info session while you were on campus?

1 Answer

One of the projects I worked on was making a vacuum cleaner. The question asked was to explain how the fan laws worked on the vacuum's fan.

1 Answer

You have a tank of water with max depth H and a spout of diameter d at the bottom. The spout is held shut by a stopper forced in with a spring mounted on a fixed surface. How do you find the force that the spring needs to exert to keep the spout closed.

1 Answer

Mostly just to talk about projects I'd worked on. Got to know me a bit.

Some questions are quite easy and basic, while others are very diffecult to answer. Simple qeustions can be explaining the stress strain curves, three modes of heat transfer, turbulent flow vs laminar flow, pressure and FBD in a combustion cylinder, or cantilever beam, etc. They might also ask you technical questions based on past experience.

Have you ever been in a situation where everyone disagreed with you but you knew you were right? How did you handle that situation?

Any experience with life-cycle and accelerated product testing.

1 Answer

I was asked to talk about prior experience and projects that related to the position.