Product Manager Interview Questions in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Product Manager Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

Often considered the "CEO" of their product area, product managers oversee the strategy, production, and implementation of a particular product. Because product management teams include members from different backgrounds such as engineering, design, and data design, product managers must have strong communication skills and excel in cross-functional work environments. Expect to answer questions about your management abilities, prioritization skills, and experience working in product. Though not required, technical backgrounds are advantageous particularly when applying for roles at tech companies.

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

From the Manager of Talent Acquisition: "Would you like to know which product line this position is for and the number of SKUs you would be managing?"

1 Answer

It was embarrassing to realize that I had neglected to ask specifically which product line this person would manage. I was honest about the mistake, apologized for my oversight, and engaged further to better understand the specifics related to the opportunity.

How did you feel about being laid off from your last job after working there for so long?

1 Answer

Language/architecture questions - technical issues; working definitions of product types and how to explain from a functional and/or implementation viewpoint to different clients with varying skill sets.

1 Answer

different previous employment scenarios - products that failed and why

Design the ideal kitchen

What is the difference between C++ and Java

1 Answer

One of the people I met with was Greg Hunter. He was director of marketing at the time. I quickly discovered he is a very cerebral person and very intelligent. He asked me what seemed like ordinary questions but used my answers to generate discussions I had not anticipated. The only question I specifically recall had to do with a well known person in our industry. The person does not work at Hunter. he has a reputation for being very difficult to work with while at the same time is among the best around at what he does. Apparently this person had made some sort of comment to Greg disparaging one of the Hunter products and the essence of his displeasure was not actually true. Greg asked me why I thought he would have said something like that.

1 Answer

What do you know about 'X' product?

1 Answer

Who's ultimately responsible for shipping a product?

1 Answer

Define value proposition Why should I hire you? Explain how you researched the companies you worked for prior to joining them