Data Scientist Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Data Scientist Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

"Every business collects data, and it's the job of the data scientist to analyze, interpret, and communicate that information in a way that will help drive company decisions. In an interview, expect to answer technical questions about your ability to perform quantitative tests as well as create clear visualizations of large, complex data sets. Come ready to discuss past projects you've worked on and how you communicate data findings clearly and concisely in order to help solve business-related problems."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

You are compiling a report for user content uploaded every month and notice a spike in uploads in October. In particular, a spike in picture uploads. What might you think is the cause of this, and how would you test it?

2 Answers

Hypothesis: the photos are Halloween pictures. Test: look at upload trends in countries that do not observe Halloween as a sort of counter-factual analysis.

We cannot say what has caused the spike since causal relationship cannot be established with observed data. But we can compare the averages of all the months by performing a hypothesis testing and rejecting the null hypothesis if the F1 score is significant.

How would you test if survey responses were filled at random by certain individuals, as opposed to truthful selections?

2 Answers

You're about to get on a plane to Seattle. You want to know if you should bring an umbrella. You call 3 random friends of yours who live there and ask each independently if it's raining. Each of your friends has a 2/3 chance of telling you the truth and a 1/3 chance of messing with you by lying. All 3 friends tell you that "Yes" it is raining. What is the probability that it's actually raining in Seattle?

31 Answers

Write a function that takes in two sorted lists and outputs a sorted list that is their union.

10 Answers

How do you test whether a new credit risk scoring model works? What data would you look at?

1 Answer

When is a good day for you to start that coding challenge?

1 Answer

What teams are you interested in at Facebook?

1 Answer

I was given a Data set which had id, position_id and resume_title. I had some junk data , which needs to cleaned up and they expect you to do it onsite while two people watch you doing it. Felt like a ridiculous interview ( people watching you ) what you type , if you google for a command or not. I felt that they are not smart people thats why their interview process is like that. I wouldn't work there ever.

1 Answer

How do you find out trending queries/topics? How do you test a website feature i.e. given a set of webpages and few changes, how will you find out that the change works positively?

2 Answers

Coding round: Java String manipulation. DM/ML questions: a few about ensemble methods. A few about various classifiers and my knowledge about how and where to use various techniques 3rd coding: Solving a maze. Finding shortest path.