Mechanical engineer Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Mechanical engineer Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

"When interviewing candidates for the role of mechanical engineer, employers look for candidates who are enthusiastic to create innovative designs, analyses, and methods of production for mechanical systems. Expect to answer engineering questions that will assess your knowledge of the field as well as your creative problem-solving abilities to turn a theoretical device into a real product. In addition, come ready to discuss examples of past projects or designs and how you would excel in a team-oriented setting."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Imagine a dashed diver line down a mile length of the straight road. Explain how you would calculate the volume of paint required for this mile stretch of road.

1 Answer

Well first, what do you need to determine volume of anything? You need to know, length, width, and height. In this case, you know the length which is a mile long. But you do not know the width of the strip or the height/thickness of the paint on the road. I would assume that the thickness/height of the paint would be fairly small relative to the mile long road. I could easily determine the width of the line and paint thickness through research or typical standards and then calculate volume accordingly. As far as the fact it is dashed, determine length of dash line and then divide a mile by the length of each dashed line. This would then give you the number of dashed lines. Which you can then find the volume of one dashed line and multiply that by the number of dashed lines. That would give you a closer estimate of paint needed.

The question that threw me off the most was about my ability to work in a diverse work environment.

1 Answer

What job are you interviewing for? (asked toward the end of the interview)

1 Answer

Describe X project on your resume

1 Answer

They asked me about all the things that I had put in my resume

1 Answer

"...So would that be used on Mars?" (regarding a recent project that I had consulted for...)

1 Answer

The questions were mostly about my past research projects

Describe the physics of various balls rolling downhill.

Conceptual/system level questions Questions related to previous projects and reasoning for design choices Why SpaceX?