Senior database administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for senior database administrator

Senior database administrator Interview Questions

senior database administrator interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

We have data that gets loaded once a week. With that in mind we have an application that clients enter search data in to and then SQL has to dynamically build a statement that has 25 different data points/relationships. It works fine, but takes upwards of 30 seconds to return the data to the client. You can not change the existing schema, but you can however add to it. Indexes are already present and optimized on all the different tables. What could you do to make this process much faster??

2 Answers

Without being able to restructure the existing schema your only choice is to de-normalize the data. When the data gets loaded on that weekly schedule, also build a flat table so there are no relationships being built.

Create a denormalized view with indexes on it for most frequently asked questions and read directly from that!

How would you work with a client that has a performance problem and it is impacting the production but you cannot see any query running long in database.

2 Answers

Index tipping

1 Answer

What aspects of the job do you like?

How would you define the hardware requirements for installing EBS 12.1

1 Answer

Describe your experience as a DBA.

1 Answer

The most dumb question to ask in 2020 - Difference between MyISAM and InnoDB.

1 Answer

You are making X dollars an hour as consultant, why are you coming to Costco for approximately 30% pay cut to get this job ?

1 Answer

Always the personal issues, how do you handle a case were your boss is technically wrong but unwilling to admit it.

1 Answer

In reality, I was very comfortable with all the questions. If anything, the question that called my attention was "what do you think of open source?". they wanted to see if I would be willing to learn an open source RDBMS (Postgres) in the eventuality they decided to migrate from Informix, their current RDBMS.

110 of 105 Interview Questions