Senior Linux Administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Senior Linux Administrator Interview Questions

Senior linux administrator interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Questions on the first step were in depth and reasonable for a Senior Linux admin. The entire linux LAMP stack is covered. Most difficult for me was: Q: What directives should be placed in an .htaccess file to allow access only to users coming from network 203.0.113.0/24 OR those users who can authenticate themselves using the username of “bob” and a password of “pass12word75”. Be as specific as possible, including what modules are required for your solution to work. If any other files are required for your, list the name and contents of those files as well. A:

1 Answer

These guys may be OK to work for. They do expect on call and overtime past a 40 hour week and they pay on 1099 and NOT W2. So, subtract 30% from any compensation they offer you as you will pay the state and federal tax and FICA. So technically you are a fixed cost consultant with open ended hours past a 40 hour week. On 1099 you have no benefits. Compensation wise this is not an ideal situation for a company expecting dedication like you were a salaried person. In Californa - Labor laws are such that a non-salaried person on 1099 would be expected to be paid for all hours worked and time and a half for overtime. The practice of expecting "free" hours above 40 hours worked in California is illegal for non-salary hires. 1099 compensation is non-salary.

The unexpected part was that there weren't any hard questions asked

Standard interview fair, accomplishments, overcoming difficult experiences.

N/A None were difficult. Most were inane and were indicative of no interview training or the sited lacked communicated HR processes. At this point you have been technically questioned at least 2 times before.

I guess the most unexpected for me was a question about how I would resolve an issue between two co-workers as well as a co-worker and myself. I guess I should start expecting these questions though as I spend more time in these Senior roles. Especially at larger companies I'm going to be dealing with having a bigger team.

There really were no difficult or unexpected questions during the interview. The senior manager did seem interested in why I was considering making a change and why I left my previous position.

Being that I've not been a heavy *nix user or system administrator in a long time, some common commands were to be explained, two of which I was not familiar with. My test involved script writing, and even with a xunit testing framework, shell scripting errors can crop up and be difficult to diagnose. So, I was not a strong enough technical candidate for their previous search. Note, they are currently searching again as of today March 4th, 2015

What is the most difficult task you have had to deal with in your profession as a Systems administrator/Engineer and how were you able to resolve and document the process of resolution?

110 of 30 Interview Questions