Senior Technical Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Senior Technical Manager Interview Questions

Senior technical manager interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

A vaguest ion that was asked in a very general way, but which the interviewer clearly had specific answers he was looking for: "what are four components that are included in every specification doc". That sounded a lot like a thing you would find at Microsoft and similar large companies where process is more strictly defined. I answered poorly, I think, perhaps because I haven't worked with that kind of spec in a very long time, and not on any projects that worked out well. Smaller orgs/programs/projects (startups and incubators, for example, where the outcome is always in flux, as I am accustomed to working with) can have poor specs, specs that are centered on marketing, planning documents that are made up of wireframes and time-based stage gates. In any case, I choked a bit, and the interview kind of skated around and became more specific as we went along. I don't think that is inappropriate, though, because Amazon does value and expect the ability to deal with ambiguity.

4 Answers

Description of the current state, problems in the current state, Description of proposed state, advantages of proposed state.

"what are four components that are included in every specification doc" This question is insane, and I would hate getting an interviewer that asks such a question. Correct answer can be: "1. Title, 2. Author, 3. Requirements, 4. Version". If the title "requirements doc" is not there, maybe it is not a requirement doc. Specific sections are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_requirements_document

The toughest interviewer with the "4 components" question was a dev, in fact. The TPM screen was not so academic, more about challenges and solutions, philosophy, team fit, familiarity with the specific technology and business. That was definitely the screen that didn't go well, although he was wicked smart and wasn't just trying to mess with the candidate or anything.

How many sensors do you need and where should they be placed to detect rotation/direction of a spinning disk?

2 Answers

Tell me what a critical section is used for in C++.

2 Answers

How would you fix the US economy?

1 Answer

No chit chat, All business! Ask how my products fit into the amazon cloud then started with hypothetical questions mainly about security and ddos attacks. Waiting to hear back, if they move forward, next interview will be more Personality.

Should Amazon sell cars?

1 Answer

The questions were typical behavior questions. Lately I have been asked how I handle conflicts with team members.

1 Answer

Explain the entire TCP handshake Most of the questions have to do with the basic working of the internet and browsers..

1 Answer

What PM tools did you use?

2 Answers

How long would it take to prototype your web-based chat customer service system?

110 of 209 Interview Questions