Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor
Glassdoor Logo

Find jobs for Site Reliability Engineer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions

Site reliability engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

classic fermi problem. estimate some value making some approximations.

2 Answers

read "how would you read mount fuji" for practical examples.

The correct title of that very useful book is "How Would You Move Mount Fuji? Microsoft's Cult of the Puzzle - How the World's Smartest Company Selects the Most Creative Thinkers." It's available from Amazon - and I guess the question now is which company - MS or Google - owns that prestigious "smartest company" mantle!

You need to distribute a terabyte of data from a single server to 10,000 nodes, and then keep that data up to date. It takes several hours to copy the data just to one server. How would you do this so that it didn't take 20,000 hours to update all the servers? Also, how would you make sure that the file wasn't corrupted during the copy?

5 Answers

Describe on a scale of 1 to 10 your familiarity with systems administration. Followup: which system call returns inode information? What signal does the "kill" command send by default ? How many IP addresses are usable on a /23 network. Can you describe a connection setup in TCP

3 Answers

What steps would you take to secure a container image?

1 Answer

Take part of a log file, export to CSV.

2 Answers

Asked me how the kernel new to connect to a remote machine. Wasn't too sure if they were asking the lower level c calls, general OS theory, or just basic files / networking components (routing table). Also asked basic monitoring questions like how to monitor query times (bonked on this, just couldn't think well being nervous)

1 Answer

Live scripting question with no preamble on a white board in front of a 23-year-old engineer.

Rate yourself on the scale of 0 to 10 for Ruby

1 Answer

I didn't expected questions about my research but was pleasantly surprised. The questions were more on how I think about a problem and my approach to problem solving outside the box. Some of the questions were quite complicated but I enjoyed every one of them.

1 Answer

What's the default signal used in a kill command?

110 of 234 Interview Questions