Software Research Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Software Research Engineer Interview Questions

Software research engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

I'm not giving away the very best questions prepared by the people here. Those questions would be hard to replace. Here's one that was not planned: I had drawn some birefringent stuff on the board for one interviewer (explaining my past research) and the next interviewer saw it and asked if the atmosphere could be birefringent.

1 Answer

I initially said I didn't think the atmosphere could be birefringent and explained that the atmosphere has horizontal layers but full isotropy within each layer (in theory the layering could provide "form birefringence", but I didn't think this would be large). The interviewer pressed me further and I could tell that I needed to explain why the atmosphere was in fact birefringent. I stared off into nowhere and did a short stream-of-consciousness rant that included the words "magnetic field" and within a few seconds I came back to that phrase, realizing the this was the key to the birefringence

Describe your research to me

1 Answer

Design for a google doc style spreadsheet, with a focus on how to handle multiple concurrent edits and formulas on the spreadsheet.

2 Answers

Construct a DS with log(n) time complexity?

There really was not one specific question or moment in the interview that stands out here.

The first question he gave me was not hard. 1. You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children is a boy. The answer happens to be yes again. What's the probability that the second child is a boy? 2. (Much harder) You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children's name a William. The answer happens to be yes again.(We assume William is a boy's name, and that it's possible that both children are Williams) What's the probability that the second child is a boy?

9 Answers

Please provide more details about the experience in your resume.

Binary search in rotated sorted array. (on-campus question)

The technical question was fine, but they really want good solutions with lots of thought, not just the obvious. Interview questions varied between standard tricky algorithm questions, and super open ended questions to assess critical thinking.

110 of 12 Interview Questions