Statistics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Statistics Interview Questions

interview questions shared by candidates

Statistics Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

You're about to get on a plane to Seattle. You want to know if you should bring an umbrella. You call 3 random friends of yours who live there and ask each independently if it's raining. Each of your friends has a 2/3 chance of telling you the truth and a 1/3 chance of messing with you by lying. All 3 friends tell you that "Yes" it is raining. What is the probability that it's actually raining in Seattle?

30 Answers

Bayesian stats: you should estimate the prior probability that it's raining on any given day in Seattle. If you mention this or ask the interviewer will tell you to use 25%. Then it's straight-forward: P(raining | Yes,Yes,Yes) = Prior(raining) * P(Yes,Yes,Yes | raining) / P(Yes, Yes, Yes) P(Yes,Yes,Yes) = P(raining) * P(Yes,Yes,Yes | raining) + P(not-raining) * P(Yes,Yes,Yes | not-raining) = 0.25*(2/3)^3 + 0.75*(1/3)^3 = 0.25*(8/27) + 0.75*(1/27) P(raining | Yes,Yes,Yes) = 0.25*(8/27) / ( 0.25*8/27 + 0.75*1/27 ) **Bonus points if you notice that you don't need a calculator since all the 27's cancel out and you can multiply top and bottom by 4. P(training | Yes,Yes,Yes) = 8 / ( 8 + 3 ) = 8/11 But honestly, you're going to Seattle, so the answer should always be: "YES, I'm bringing an umbrella!" (yeah yeah, unless your friends mess with you ALL the time ;)

I thought about this a little differently from a non-bayes perspective. It's raining if any ONE of the friends is telling the truth, because if they are telling the truth then it is raining. If all of them are lieing, then it isn't raining because they told you that it was raining. So what you want is the probability that any one person is telling the truth. Which is simply 1-Pr(all lie) = 26/27 Anyone let me know if I'm wrong here!

Here's another perspective on how to answer a question like this: Bring an umbrella. It's Seattle - if it's not raining right now, it probably will be by the time you get there.

Given a coin flipping game, in which player A looks for the sequence HTH and player B looks for the sequence HTT, what is the probability that player A encounters its sequence first (and the game ends)?

2 Answers

how would you diagnose a hardware system that was having excessive signal to noise problems from a camera that measures fluorescent signals?

1 Answer

Given a random variable X and its distribution P(X), and a function y(x), what can you tell me about the distribution P(y(x))?

1 Answer

Certain statistical questions regarding how to account for error in your normal statistical distribution

1 Answer

What computer software do you use?

Why should I hire you?

1 Answer

Can you tell me the formula for sample variance? Is this formula biased, and if so, prove it!

2 Answers

My on-campus interview had tough question about displaying the top 10 tweets (from the whole world) from the previous day on a website.

1 Answer

what is the significance of the peak in a gaussian distribution

110 of 24 Interview Questions