Summer Engineering Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Summer Engineering Intern Interview Questions

Summer engineering intern interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

25 racehorses, no stopwatch. 5 tracks. Figure out the top three fastest horses in the fewest number of races.

9 Answers

We can do it in seven races, we'll call them races A-F. For notation, we'll say that the Nth horse in race X is called X.N. Races A-E: Divide the horses into 5 groups of 5 each such that each horse races only once. We can eliminate the slowest 2 horses in each of the five races because there are definitely 3 horses faster in each case. As a result, we eliminate 5x2 = 10 horses: {A.4,A.5,B.4,B.5,C.4,C.5,D.4,D.5,E.4,E.5} Race F: Race the fastest horses in each race A-E: {A.1, B.1, C.1, D.1, E.1}. To simplify notation, we'll label F.1 as horse A.1, F.2 as horse B.1, and so forth. That means the winner of this race is A.1, and it is the fastest horse of all. We don't have to race A.1 anymore. We can eliminate D.1 and E.1 = 2 horses. Because they are not in the top 3. As a result, we know that all remaining horses from D and E are eliminated. This is D.2,D.3,E.2,E.3 = 4 horses. We know that A.1,B.1, and B.2 are all faster than B.3 (and similar for C.3) so they are not in the top 3.We can eliminate B.3 and C.3 = 2 horses. Finally, we know that A.1 is faster than B.1, which is faster than C.1, and thus C.2, so we can remove C.2 = 1 horse. Race G: We have removed 19 horses from competition and are sure that A.1 is the fastest horse of them all. This leaves just 5 horses: {A.2,A.3,B.1,B.2,C.1}. We race them and select the top 2 to join A.1 as the top 3 fastest horses.

just run them all on the one track :) one race, and you get your 3 fastest horses in one go........or am I missing something!

6 races. Divide 25 horses into 5 groups. Each group races and the fastest is selected. The winner of each of the 5 races all race together. Pick Top 1,2 and 3. My only concern: Could the answer be this simple?

what is the significance of the peak in a gaussian distribution

1 Answer

what is object and what is interference in OOD

1 Answer

If you roll 5 standard six-sided dice, what’s the probability that you get at least two 4s? Also: you were offered the following bet: we pay you $1000 if you roll at least two 4s but you have to pay Rapleaf $1000 if you don't. Would you take the bet? Why or why not?

1 Answer

The only "technical" question I was asked was to explain what I knew about cloud computing.

1 Answer

If pizza is darker than usual once you take it out of the oven, what would you do?

1 Answer

The most difficult one was about my programming experience with VBA.

Tell me something about yourself which is not on your resume. Explain the functioning principle of a FET transistor.

110 of 47 Interview Questions