Technical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Technical Interview Questions

3,004

interview questions shared by candidates

Technical Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Suppose we hire you, and you and the rest of the new interns decide to go buy a cup of coffee. Each intern purchases one cup of coffee. One of the interns suggests everyone play a game. Everyone will flip a fair coin, dividing the group of interns into two subgroups: those that got heads and those that got tails. The game is this: whichever group is smaller evenly splits the cost of everyone's cup of coffee (i.e. if there are 5 interns, 3 get H, 2 get T, then the two interns that got tails each buy 2.5 cups of coffee). However, nothing says you need to play this game. You can choose to buy your own cup of coffee and not play the game at all. The question: Should you play this game? (Note: You may assume that there is an odd number of interns, so there are no ties, and that if everyone gets H or everyone gets T, then everyone loses and just buys their own cup of coffee).

18 Answers

Hint: Despite its look, this is not a math question.

I dont get it, Would you please provide more hints?

Assume each coffee costs $1, for simplicity. So this is effectively a choice between two outcomes: paying $1 with probability 100%, or paying $0 with some probability and paying more than $0 with some probability. So you ask yourself: what is your expected cost in the second case? Give that a try and see if you can figure it out. However, I want to remind you that the question is "should you play this game?" The answer to this question isn't just a math question. If you only work out expected values, you've missed the point. For example, a separate question (with the same kind of flavor as the direction I'm trying to lead you) is this: suppose I give you a choice of two outcomes. Either you get $1 with 100% probability or I give you $500,000,000 with probability 1/100,000,000 and 0 otherwise. Which would you pick? Now what if it was the same first choice, but the second choice was $50 with prob 1/10 and 0 otherwise? Now which would you pick? These are the kinds of things you want to think about while answering this kind of question. Let me know if you have anymore questions. And if you want me to post the answer, just let me know.

Given an array of integers eg [1,2,-3,1] find whether there is a sub-sequence that sums to 0 and return it (eg 1,2,-3 or 2,-3,1) Checking every sub-sequence is O(n^2) which is too inefficient

12 Answers

Implement a power function to raise a double to an int power, including negative powers.

11 Answers

Write a function that divides two numbers without using the divide '/' operator.

11 Answers

List all anagrams in a file. Assumptions: case-insensitive, a-z characters only, one word per line. For example, if the file contains dog, cat, ddd, goo, act, god -- output dog, god, act, cat

10 Answers

You are standing beside a road watching cars pass by. The probability that you see a car pass by in 1 minute is 1/4. What is the probability that you see a car pass by in 30 seconds?

8 Answers

13 cubed

6 Answers

What are the first 2 integers that, when added together, equal 10 in a "very large" array of unsigned integers?

6 Answers

Suppose you have two covariance matrices A and B. Is AB also a covariance matrix? Suppose that, by plain dumb luck, we also have that AB=BA. Is AB a covariance matrix under this additional condition?

12 Answers

find 3 elements in an array that sum to 0.

110 of 3,004 Interview Questions