Technical writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Technical writer Interview Questions

"Employers hiring technical writers want candidates with the technical knowledge and written communication skills to simplify complex concepts. In an interview, be prepared to discuss your writing experience and provide an example of a time you explained a difficult idea to a group or classroom. Your interviewer may also quiz you on technical concepts or ask you to engage in a written exercise."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

How do you prioritize topics that need to be written?

2 Answers

I try to get a sense of the need for the topics by asking subject matter experts and other interested parties; then I prioritize based on whether this is a new topic, a revision, a requirement to address changed circumstances, or a "nice to have." Emergency topics take first priority; then topics that can be completed quickly; then topics that are needed, but which will require more time to investigate.

You would have to draw up an outline that included variables with respect to deadline and value. Once that was accomplished, you should develop an analysis of each item with respect to profit, qty available, vs realistic completion of the project deadline expectation. Say we have 100 widgets that are slow sellers, with a low margin and time consuming to write, and 1000 widgets with the same amount of work, yet are far more profitable, you would outline them in a multi-fold hierarchical format. Equal work and deadline, unequal values. If the next four items were also fast sellers with high quantities and significant profit margins, and took as much work as the 100 widgets, decisions would need to be made. Rush jobs are better served by making compromises. It's better to exclude weaker profit items, in order to ensure all high profit items are included and the quality of the finished product does not read as slap-dash, and that pesky deadline is met. Over-reaching is the hobgoblin of lost accounts.

I was given a writing test. The test included three poorly organized technical writing passages that I was instructed to rewrite. Great idea to add this and something I have never seen in a technical writing interview. Typically you're just asked for samples and those are used to evaluate your ability as a writer.

1 Answer

How do you plan to ensure that your focus is always on improving the customer experience?

1 Answer

How would you deal with people freaking out to meet the deadline for a USAID proposal?

1 Answer

What's your experience with online content creation?

1 Answer

What is your plan when you have to conduct research for a school paper?

1 Answer

How do you decide which grants to apply for and which ones not to?

1 Answer

What transferable skills do you have from your current position to the grant writing position?

What's an API?

1 Answer

How do you measure the success of content?

110 of 3,310 Interview Questions