Software Engineer Interview Questions in Tokyo, Japan | Glassdoor

Software Engineer Interview Questions in Tokyo, Japan

Software engineers write programs to design and develop computer software. Interviews are highly technical, so come ready to work through coding problems and math brainteasers. The specific questions you are asked will depend on what type of programming position you are looking for. Try researching a specific software discipline such as web development, application development, or system development.

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

The programming test was quite difficult Math problem, it had to be solved precisely and every case must be handled carefully to ensure correct program outcome.

5 Answers

I asked the HR staff about my score after they said I had passed it. It was 70ish out of 100.

can you provide more information about the problem asked in programming test !!!!!

rectilinear problem on codility

Not difficult questions but get ready for simple algorithms and questions like `how did you manage error on web server` etc..

2 Answers

(All questions are from phone screen, as onsite interviews are covered by NDA) 1. Reverse the order of the vowels in the string, in-place. 2. Count the # of connected "islands" on a 2D array representing a map of the world. 3. Find the sequence of words in the dictionary which differ from previous word by only one letter, starting with "cat" and ending with "dog" 4. Write a function which sets all of the bits on a given row of 2-D bit array to 1, but leaves all other rows alone

1 Answer

Basic Japanese is required for communication and interaction with Tokyo colleagues since the team is setup in Japan. Japanese is one of the requirement. The programming test is to implement a function which is able to detect a duplicated "Job" object, which is usually obtained by web crawling but assumed available for the interview exercise. A job is same as another job if they have same <company, title, local> and job description. A matching job description requires half or more than half of text matching of the contents, so this requires skills on string processing. The final result should print out all of the jobs, for each of which the matching jobs should be printed out correctly. If the program runs well, then you should start to optimize it so that it would run more efficiently. When I went for the interview, the machine and development environment wasn't setup properly. Initially the keyboard wasn't working, and after replacing the keyboard, the interviewer realized that the machine has problem. The development environment was ready for my exercise after machine+keyboard were replaced, which took more than 30mins. As the exercise is 90mins, the interviewer left the room after confirming the keyboard and machine working. However, I only realized a bit later that the keyboard is setup as Japanese keyboard, so special symbols (such as ", +, =, and etc)are in different locations than the standard US keyboard. It cost me sometime to get used to the new layout.

1 Answer

You need to solve well at least 2 out of 4 tasks. I chose to use Java as long as C#, my first programming language option was not available. The time available is 2 hours. The questions require good basic knowledge of graphs theory (and implementation), algorithms and data structures. For the graph theory based tasks, choosing the right implementation of the graph is the key to solve the task in the given time.

1 Answer

Tell me why should I hire you.

1 Answer

Some interviewers asked "warmup" questions ("define a binary tree"), perhaps to decide whether to ask harder questions later. But the main questions are NOT standard interview questions like "write a search on a binary search tree", etc. They're pretty hard, non-textbook algorithmic questions. You need to have a very good grasp on standard data structures and algorithms and be able to "connect the dots".

1 Answer

what expertise do you have? what is your strength?

Why Rakuten?