uShip.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at uShip.com

2.4

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at uShip.com (Boca Raton, FL).

Interview

I applies online for a business sales position. I got accepted to do a video interview. I went through the interview and never heard back. I even sent 2 emails to the recruiter trying to follow up as well as others. No reply back as I was expecting to at least hear whether or not they are moving forward.

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at uShip.com (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Good overall pretty straight forward and easy. I'm the end I turned them down because they couldn't pay market rates for an interaction designer, literally could get paid more every place I applied.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about prior projects   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at uShip.com.

Interview

I was interviewed by the nicest people. Everything is super casual, so you don't need to dress formal. The interview was like a casual conversation. They asked my how I got into CS and about things on my resume. At the very end there are two technical questions that are pretty easy, one about array manipulation and one about abstract classes. Awesome office and culture, hope to work with them soon.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at uShip.com (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

They'll just send you an email saying they would like to schedule you for an interview. 2 developers will typically be there to interview you. Upon arriving, they'll walk you around the office and show you their facilities (such as the kitchen, upstairs game zone, and ping pong room). Then they'll walk you to a conference room where they'll review your resume, pick out interesting tidbits for you to talk about. Afterwards, they'll test your thought process as a programmer to see if you think in a really abstract way (in there own words, "to see if you can grasp the big picture"). Finally, they'll end the interview by seeing if you have any questions for them.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions on abstract classes and interfaces in C#.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at uShip.com (Austin, TX).

Interview

I spoke with an outside recruiter and then with a hiring manager over the phone. A few minutes later, I received a call from the recruiter saying that they were not going to extend an offer.

I left a short, polite voice-mail to the hiring manager requesting some information about why they were not extending an offer to me.

Later that day, I received another call from the recruiter in I was scolded and verbally abused for allegedly embarrassing the recruiter. The recruiter said that I acted unprofessionally by leaving voice-mail with uShip without asking for the recruiter's permission first. I was extremely angry about the way I was spoken to.

I have come to hold outside recruiters in low regard due to the lack of professionalism and courtesy that I have experienced with many of them, but this is the worst experience I've ever had with a recruiter.

This experience has soiled uShip's reputation to me as well as the reputation of the recruiter. I hope that they never again hold the keys to a career that I consider.

Worst. Interview. Experience. Ever.

Interview Questions

• "Did you call uShip behind my back?"   1 Answer

uShip.com Response

Oct 22, 2014 – Recruiter

We are sincerely sorry you had a terrible and what sounds to be extremely unprofessional experience with an agency recruiter. This is exactly why we typically do not engage outside agencies for our... More

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at uShip.com (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

I was impressed with the interview process. The first stage consisted of an online skills test, with a followup interview over Skype or Hangouts. You'll be asked about your approach to the test and questions about your background. Subsequent in person interviews are very conversational, with some challenging questions. Some whiteboard or laptop coding may be required in person. Overall, I was impressed with my interviewers and received and accepted an offer from the company.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite project with your previous employer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at uShip.com.

Interview

Spoke with uShip at a career event and set up an immediate on site interview.
    The interview was very relaxed and they were more concerned with how you approached
    a solution and making sure you knew the fundamentals of basic coding logistics.
    Once the on site interview was over they then looked over and selected who they
    saw best fit for the company.

Senior QA Automation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at uShip.com in August 2017.

Interview

The initial interview was over the phone with the hiring manager, and was focused on my past experiences, interests, goals, and soft skills.

I was contacted again for an in-person interview with the same hiring manager and several members of the QA team. Truthfully, I prioritized this interview lower than other events in my life and didn't prepare almost at all. As a result, I really bombed the technical portion of the interview, but the team was so supportive and helpful, with a high willingness to collaborate and communicate, that it wasn't nearly as negative an experience as it could have been.

Although I was embarrassed at having been so poorly prepared, I really loved the team and plan to apply again with a little more prep work. Huge thanks to the QA team at UShip for being awesome and not just leaving me hanging in awkward silence while I struggled with the technical questions!

The hiring manager was also very willing to work around my schedule so I could hire on at a date that would be convenient for me, if I were to be selected for the role.

As a side note, the facility is modern and open, with lots of natural light - not at all like the dungeons where they keep most QA and Dev teams.

I actually got a quick response to my follow-up mail from the hiring manager that I sent after hearing I wasn't selected. He was just as polite and forthcoming as he had been during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a method similar to other example methods, to hit an API using a HEAD request.   1 Answer
    • Write a SQL query that pulls specific columns from Table A and specific columns from Table B.   1 Answer

Senior Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at uShip.com (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

After a positive phone interview, I get called in for an in-person. This consisted of a panel interview conducted by prospective co-workers and managers. Over-all, I was pretty underwhelmed by the skill level of their existing QA personnel. I got the impression that they hire for personality and 'cultural fit' instead of skill level.

One of their guys asked me a programming question. It was 'How do you check if a string is a palindrome?' I said 'Use a for loop to compare the first character and last character, if they are identical, compare the second character with the second-to-last character, and so on, until you meet in the middle. If everything checks out, return 'True' or '1'.'

That was literally the most difficult question in the interview, and I think I covered it pretty well, but I refused to write it out on a whiteboard, because I think white board interviews are unrealistic. In the field, you have an editor to check your syntax, and the internet to help you implement your raw ideas in whatever language that company uses. Furthermore, it wasn't a QA question. When would a QAE ever do that? It was a question from a developer's classroom textbook.
    If he had said 'How do you feed an array of expected results into a for loop to compare one by one with actual results?' I could have easily done that on the board, because I do that all the time. It's basic unit testing.

Finally, this company is super dog-crazy, to a point where they have concrete floors, so the dogs can defecate on the floor without ruining expensive carpets. When I exposed myself as a cat person, they kind of bawked... I can't think of a more petty reason not to hire someone, but that's Austin.

Also, they seemed to want to hire someone who is super gung-ho about shipping... so, Fry from Futurama, I guess?

Interview Questions

• 'How do you check if a string is a palindrome?'   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at uShip.com (Austin, TX) in December 2018.

Interview

I applied online through indeed. I was contacted within 9 days for a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was sent a list of their benefits package and a list of prep suggestions to prepare for the interview.