uShip.com Senior Quality Assurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1.0

Senior Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at uShip.com (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

After a positive phone interview, I get called in for an in-person. This consisted of a panel interview conducted by prospective co-workers and managers. Over-all, I was pretty underwhelmed by the skill level of their existing QA personnel. I got the impression that they hire for personality and 'cultural fit' instead of skill level.

One of their guys asked me a programming question. It was 'How do you check if a string is a palindrome?' I said 'Use a for loop to compare the first character and last character, if they are identical, compare the second character with the second-to-last character, and so on, until you meet in the middle. If everything checks out, return 'True' or '1'.'

That was literally the most difficult question in the interview, and I think I covered it pretty well, but I refused to write it out on a whiteboard, because I think white board interviews are unrealistic. In the field, you have an editor to check your syntax, and the internet to help you implement your raw ideas in whatever language that company uses. Furthermore, it wasn't a QA question. When would a QAE ever do that? It was a question from a developer's classroom textbook.
If he had said 'How do you feed an array of expected results into a for loop to compare one by one with actual results?' I could have easily done that on the board, because I do that all the time. It's basic unit testing.

Finally, this company is super dog-crazy, to a point where they have concrete floors, so the dogs can defecate on the floor without ruining expensive carpets. When I exposed myself as a cat person, they kind of bawked... I can't think of a more petty reason not to hire someone, but that's Austin.

Also, they seemed to want to hire someone who is super gung-ho about shipping... so, Fry from Futurama, I guess?

Interview Questions

• 'How do you check if a string is a palindrome?'   1 Answer