- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)
- Very professional
- The best culture you'll find out in the market
- Unlimited holidays, paid Uber for commute, loads of company events with perks and vouchers for employees to enjoy
- Lots of freedom to do your best work, while also giving you the trust and responsibility to make the decisions
- No "we're a family" motos. You and your peers are accountable for their mistakes and you're expected to act as a world-class professional and to encourage that in your peers as well. You're paid a top salary, so it's expected for you to be your best version.
- Awesome product, coworkers, perks, pay and work style
- Flat software engineering roles. No principals, no staff, no mediors or juniors. All engineers are hired as Senior Software Engineers and expected to have the maturity of one.
- Engineering is still not so big in Amsterdam. LG and LA are still the main hubs and this means working on very awkward hours in order to participate in engineering events.
- Salaries are much bigger than many other companies in NL and very comfortable, but still considerably lower than what your peers are making in the US, in a magnitude of 3x~4x times lower
- Very few opportunities for software engineers in Europe to move teams and work on other challenges. Managers are still trying to figure out how to deal with the 9 hours difference in timezone and how to make the experience reliable and sustainable. A lot to improve here.
Advice to Management
For the HR: Come up with a framework for Software Engineers in Europe. Be more clear about their salaries and why there is such a big disparity.
For hiring managers: try and build more skills on your team towards asynchronous communication practices and foster those.
For the engineering organization in general: make EMEA friendly editions of engineering events. It's not easy to join a tech strat at 11pm or a team's all hands at 1am. Recording the meeting helps, but makes it impossible for engineers in Europe to chime in and contribute on the spot.
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in September 2020.
Friendly, punctual, professional and accurate. I have received enough information from the recruiter to prepare myself for the interviews. I've been able to ask extended clarification and receive widely explanatory answers.