I have been working at Alexandria Real Estate Equities full-time
Where to start? I worked for the same company for 14 years. I resigned myself to the fact that working for an employer meant always coming in second to the bottom line and never feeling appreciated. When I started looking for a position I was contacted by a wonderful recruiter from Alexandria Real Estate Equities (ARE) and I immediately checked the Glassdoor reviews. I couldn't find much and I was very disappointed. After my fist interview, I knew that this company was different and I was shocked that people didn’t have more to say. Not only is the company close to home and located in a very nice area of Pasadena, but every person I interacted with was bright and excited and genuinely loved the company. I know...you want the Pros....here is a short list but please keep in mind that I still learn something new every single day.
1. Amazing benefits. No exaggeration. Seriously amazing benefits.
2. Every person I have interacted with has been bright and friendly and the environment is warm and welcoming.
3. I work in the Legal Department and the work-life balance is amazing. I actually look forward to work on Monday and I never believed that was possible.
4. Employees are given everything they could ever need to perform their duties. No one hurts for anything so we are free from the distraction of begging an angry supply warden for a pencil.
5. My favorite thing so far is that our CEO and Founder actually addresses the company, shares his thoughts and celebrates our accomplishments as a company. His emails are encouraging and supportive and show a real appreciation for the accomplishments of every employee and not just the big guys. The environment has felt fresh and innovative from day one I have had a sense that change and improvement are encouraged and appreciated and not feared and suppressed. That is incredibly refreshing.
6. Food, food and more food. No one goes hungry at Alexandria. There are always wonderful treats and healthy options available and it really brings a smile to everyone's face. ARE is extremely generous and it never ceases to amaze me how much more productive and happy I am never worrying about being hungry.
There is no way to list all of the wonderful things about ARE. All I can tell you is that I am happier than I have ever been before. I found an amazing position, working for a company I love and believe in, our CEO is someone I respect and appreciate and all of my friends are jealous of the benefits and the "perks".
None. In a truly collaborative, welcoming and rewarding environment, it has been difficult for me to find any cons. The location is great, the people are great, the company's mission is something I can stand behind and our leadership is passionate about contributing something wonderful to this world. ARE is successful but has not lost sight of the backbone of any successful organization, the people. Everyone is treated with respect and the usual pettiness many of us have seen in previous positions is missing. As an employee, I have felt welcomed, cared for and important since the day I started and it gets better every day.
Advice to Management
Keep doing what you are doing. I have never been happier and I love what we do every day.
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Alexandria Real Estate Equities (New York, NY).
I interviewed with numerous employees. It was a lengthy process but I was kept well informed about where we were in the process. I met with most of the department that I now work for. Most of the questions were job-related and there were some behavioral based interview questions, as well. Everyone was very friendly.
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –