American Student Assistance® (ASA) is committed to developing and sustaining an inclusive, high-performing culture where associates embrace and utilize one another's talents and backgrounds, cultivate innovative thinking, achieve their full potential, and contribute to ASA's success.
At ASA®, we believe that "diversity" goes beyond the traditional definition of race or gender and reflects both the communities in which we live as well as those whom we serve. We believe that we are all part of the diversity that exists at ASA, whether it is our age, national origin, language, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic, social or economic background, disability, veteran status, genetic makeup, or any other attribute that makes us unique as an individual.
Our People Make Us Great
As a mission-driven, public-purpose organization, ASA's greatest strategic asset is its people. Our future success is dependent on our continued ability to attract and retain a diverse workforce that has the ability to recognize and leverage our individual and collective strengths.
To that end, ASA's board of directors and senior management recognize the benefits of our workplace diversity, particularly in management level positions, and are committed to attracting, optimizing, and retaining the best possible employees in a competitive labor market, particularly with underrepresented groups in management level positions and by committing to diversity in all aspects of our business.
We will most effectively achieve our mission by aligning our business goals with our diversity goals by doing the following:
• Promoting from within
• Creating a flexible talent pool by offering development and leadership opportunities
• Expanding formal and informal diversity awareness training opportunities
• Expanding our network by working with diversity and community-based organizations
• Seeking business relationships with minority- and women-owned business enterprise (MWBE) suppliers and/or those vendors who are committed to work with MWBE suppliers
• Expanding our college access and support activities in underserved communities in Boston and the surrounding marketplace
• Conducting multicultural and minority based research relating to student and borrower needs and services
• Including diversity as a performance measure and as a criteria for decisions regarding performance for the senior management team
• Celebrating our diversity at every opportunity
An "Employer of Choice"
We look to all our associates to foster an atmosphere of inclusion in which everyone will feel welcome and accepted. We believe that ASA is a great place to work for many reasons, our diversity being one that sets us apart from many other employers. With a commitment from ASA’s president/CEO and management team and with the help of our associates we can truly distinguish ourselves as an "Employer of Choice"—a place where people want to work and develop and help us fulfill our mission.
If you have any questions, comments, or ideas regarding diversity or other ways we can distinguish ASA as an "Employer of Choice," please do not hesitate to contact Jean Eddy, President and CEO, or Alan Braverman, Managing Director of Human Resources.