I have been working at Applied Research Associates full-time (More than 10 years)
- The quality of technical people at ARA is very high
- Projects are mostly research oriented and in general provide a good variety of interesting work
- If you are technically solid, there are a lot of opportunities to pursue work you love
- Most of the people at ARA are there because they want to be there, not just to draw a pay check
- Excellent benefits (e.g. ESOP, generous 401K contributions, annual bonus)
- Pay is not as high as other high tech companies, although benefits somewhat outweigh this
- Company tends to be stingy when it comes to hardware/technology purchases
- Projects are primarily gov't contracts subject to the whims of federal gov't funding
Advice to Management
Invest more R&D funds in good ideas. Visit satellite offices more often so you know what is going on with your employees.
I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates.
There was a 30 minute phone interview with a staff member of the team that was interested in hiring me. The team that wanted to hire me was on location at a testing facility, which is not normally where they are located so they then flew me out onto the location for a face to face interview. It was very casual and everyone was extremely friendly.