Mission: We’re from Oakland. We embrace our East Bay location and the iconic role we play in Oakland’s blossoming tech scene. We’re made up of a bunch of small teams who work closely together to tackle big challenges and pursue exciting opportunities. We ...
I have been working at Ask Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)
- The people of Ask Media Group are one of its biggest assets, and this is recognized by the company's current leadership. There are many kind, smart people who work at AMG and getting to know these people has been one of the best parts of the five years I've worked here.
- Career growth opportunities are good. As a somewhat small company, there are many opportunities to be exposed to more than just the responsibilities associated with your job. This is very valuable for people interested in expanding their skills. I think this is evidenced by how many people have stayed at AMG for 3+ years.
- The technology team is fantastic. As someone outside of the tech. organization, developers often show inhuman patience explaining the nuances of the technology at AMG. This is invaluable to someone like me who would lost if not for this great team.
- The new leadership has been great. Over the last 12 months, AMG's leadership has prioritized making sure employees understand the company's direction and emphasized internal financial transparency. Both of these decisions are changes from previous leadership and these changes are welcomed.
- The office atmosphere is casual, but people take their work seriously. This is a valuable combination.
- Benefits are good. There are plenty of snacks, different teams arrive anywhere between 8 and 10:30a, and both transportation (parking/BART) and membership to a gym across the street are subsidized by AMG.
- Compensation is average.
- Work/life balance depends heavily on which team you're on. You'll find a handful of people regularly working early in the morning or late at night.
- There's a degree of unpredictability because of AMG's dependence on paid traffic.
Advice to Management
Continue focusing on being transparent with your employees. This is something which was severely lacking under previous management but which has improved significantly in the last year.
I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ask Media Group in December 2015.
I had two phone interviews, and then zero communication. Both interviews seemed to go well. What I found frustrating however was the lack of follow up by the recruiter. I sent two follow up emails to the recruiter with no response. Other than that the scheduling was easy, didn't really ask any deep technical questions.