Get updates about Baringa Partners, or share your experience with others.
I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)
- The opportunities you get to develop yourself are excellent. Senior staff take a lot of time to give you feedback and help you improve your ways of working. The people you work with are very good at what they do and there are plenty of opportunities to learn from them. I find that I have developed rapidly since joining Baringa.
- It's a great environment to develop your career. There are continuous opportunities to take on greater challenges and increase your responsibility within the firm. You can also get excellent career mentors at Baringa, who will challenge you and help you to push your career in the direction that you want to go. There are also four promotion rounds a year.
- The social network and the support network you get at Baringa is incredible. We have an excellent work social life, with plenty of opportunities for fun. The teams that you work with also provide a lot of support to you make sure that you are getting the help you need to work well both off and on client site.
- You can really shape the company with your own ideas and initiatives. Baringa is always on the look out for new opportunities, and if you have an area that you are passionate about or interested in Baringa is a great environment to pursue this.
- Baringa has been a bit slow to think 'global' as an organisation, despite now having offices in several countries (and continents!). Baringa is making progress in this area, but it should continue to think globally, in order to work effectively from an operational point of view and best serve its clients.
Advice to Management
Think globaly; operationally, as well as commercially.
I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in August 2014.
after sending my CV by email I was invited to do an Excel assessment test. I was sent an Excel file at a prearranged time and had 45min to complete the questions in it. On the first sheet you had do calculate some averages and convert energy and CO2 prices to different currencies. In the second sheet you had to calculate the price of electricity of a gas or coal power plant and of a windfarm, and had to comment about the difference in the average price of electricity. In the last sheet you had to discount some prices to calculate it's time value. That's all I remember. It is enough to use standard excel functions like averages and weighted averages, and nothing more complicated is needed.
After the successful completion of the excel assessment I was invited to a first round interview with one of their partners and another senior consultant. Beforehand I had a phone conversation with one of their recruiters informing me about starting salary (37.000 GBP) and the interview process in general.
I was not invited to a second round interview since I did not perform well enough in some of the energy market specific questions (see below).
Generally the hiring process seemed transparent and quick. I was a surprised though that they did NOT cover my travel expenses. I took a whole day off at my current job and had to travel from abroad. In only got 90 GBP reimbursed, which was far from what I actually paid to get to the interview. I have been to 8 job interviews up to now, and this was the only time a company refused to pay my travel expenses, which I thought was pretty weird. But it goes in line with what previous posters mentioned, that at Baringa in general cash seems to be tight when in comes to pay raises and reimbursements.
So overall the interview process was fine, and it seems like a nice place to work, with really sympathic people, if you accept the lower salary level compared to similar jobs at other consultancies.
We are absolutely delighted to be able to announce today that that we have been recognised by the Times as a top 50 employer for women. This is the first time that we have entered a submission for this award and are thrilled to have placed within the top 50 at our first attempt….what a fantastic achievement! Read more: http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQfQV
Did you know that we have been recognised as the Best Workplace by Great Place to Work UK, ranking No. 1 in the Large Workplaces category for businesses with 500+ employees? Read more here: http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQBNd