I have been working at Beyond full-time
I like many aspects of Beyond, but the key differentiators for me are:
- democratization of creative ideas (everyone is creative)
- autonomy to own products in cross-functional teams
- focus around delivering value, rather than hitting arbitrary deadlines or creating throwaway gimmicks
- smart, honest and collaborative team members who support each other
- constant energy to acquire new skills and embrace inevitable change
I believe many of these aspects wouldn't be possible with a larger hierarchical organization.
The downside of a flatter hierarchy is that it's less clear where the opportunities to grow are within the company. Rather than traversing up a traditional ladder, it's more about expanding into new product areas and skills. Another downside with autonomous teams is that it's really on you and your team to define how you work, and some teams do need more support/structure.
Advice to Management
Keep what you're doing, you're onto a good thing! But bear in mind that in a flatter organizational structure you need to make it clear where the opportunities lie to grow and progress in a career.
I applied online. I interviewed at Beyond (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.
Got a phone interview pretty quick with the recruiter - asked to do a couple of google hang out meetings with them and the hiring manager and to come in, in person for over 2 hours. Didn't get the position because I didn't have enough experience, if they knew that I wouldn't have taken time off from work and used my PTO!