I have been working at Blue Water Media full-time
Really great agency with an experienced and tenured team at the Director, VP level and above. Design team is consistently recognized for excellent work; development team is ready to take on any challenge. Work / life balance is second to none... lots of flexibility to work from home and trust in the team to get your work done whenever / wherever is good for you. Really committed team. High recommendations across the board.
The commute can be tough, but that's the case everywhere in / around DC.
I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blue Water Media (Greenbelt, MD) in February 2016.
1) Phone screening with Director of HR
2) Phone interview with Director of Client Services. It was made very clear they needed PMs to help guide projects.
3) In person interview with Director of HR , Director of Client Services, VP & Client Services & Digital Strategy, and 1 other employee. - They reaffirmed the need for PMs. I was told they would make a decision the following day. 5 minutes after I left their office they called and asked for references which i provided within 2 hours.
4) Two days after the in person interview I was contacted about interviewing with the CEO 1 on 1. It was scheduled and then rescheduled for the following week based on a conflict on the CEO's schedule. I then had the interview and was told a decision would be made the following day (Mar 4)
5) Five days later I was contacted by the Director of HR and told a new CTO had been hired and that they would not be making any personnel decisions until the CTO could assess the company and that I would likely hear back in early April.
6) I was contacted by the CEO mid-March to ask if I was still interested and was then extended a job offer without speaking to the new CTO. The following day I negotiated with the CEO via phone for an extra $5,000 salary (that was verbally agreed upon), with the caveat that I would need to speak with the new CTO. I was told they wouldn't get an updated offer out for at least 2 days.
7) I spoke with the CTO the following day for about 10 minutes on the phone.
8) After 5 days i contacted the Director of HR; I received a response from another employee on the behalf of the VP of Finance that she would check on the status of my offer and that the Director of HR was no longer employed by the company.
9) 10 days later I contacted the company again (VP of Finance). I then received a response from the CTO stating they were not interested in hiring a PM who was not interested in technical work. I responded asking for clarification on what "technical work" referred to. No response days later.
Even if this was a misunderstanding, the leadership's ability to communicate is terrible. The whole process was a huge waste of my time and of some of the few vacation hours I had accrued at my current job.
The CEO reluctantly negotiated after a miscommunication about the salary (whether the number they provided me early in the interview process was the number I was willing to work for). It was a difficult negotiation just for $5,000. The originally offered salary would have been a $10,000 pay cut.
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –