Welcome to Essence. We are a data-driven global agency whose mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. We believe that digital advertising done well is more meaningful and more effective.
We help some of the world’s most exciting brands earn relevant connections with their customers by blending objective media, data science and captivating experiences.
If you want to learn more about what it's like to work at Essence, go to the “Our people” tab.
We’re in pursuit of excellence. This principle runs through every aspect of our business. And it’s especially true for our people.
We believe that a workplace where our people can be themselves, they are freed up to do amazing work. That's why we promise:
A workplace where we invest in your career
We will give you the chance to work on innovative projects that are leading the way in digital, setting you up for a fulfilling career trajectory.
A workplace that is fun and engaging
We will play; time-outs at the foosball table, ping pong table or the breakout area are not only okay, they're encouraged.
A workplace where you are cared for
We will provide generous, industry-leading employee benefits.
The mission of our Global Citizenship program is simple: Together we aim to make a positive impact in our community by raising awareness, building purposeful connections and creating opportunities to do good.
Our programs work to raise our employees’ awareness of issues which have an adverse social impact on the communities where we work and live. We have teams dedicated to our mission in each region; we want to do good at a local level around the world.
We encourage each of our employees to take advantage of our two-day volunteering allowance and join activities that speak to them. We partner with charitable organizations and not-for-profits to create meaningful employee volunteer opportunities. Such opportunities include corporate giving, job skills sharing, donation drives, mentoring and spending time at soup kitchens or animal shelters. We want to ensure that we’re working together to enact change where and when we can.
If you’d like to come join us, let’s chat. Check out the current vacancies on the site.
Our mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world.
We make experiences that are instantly captivating so consumers choose to spend time with your brand. It takes rare creatives that seek out data insights and love testing. The results? Work that is magical, beautiful, accountable and shareable—regardless of channel or device.
Our media teams create effective connections, regardless of screen size or media type—paid, earned, owned or borrowed. Whether building brands, or driving sales, we help our clients get the most from this rapidly evolving ecosystem.
Our insightful placements, innovative measurement and relentless optimization happen in a culture of complete transparency and accountability. Our analytics teams bring together technical dexterity, scientific integrity and a unique appreciation of the ever-expanding possibilities of the digital world. When they confront business problems, great things happen.
Below are videos about our proprietary campaign management platform, Olive, and our approach to mobile advertising. You can also watch three of our case studies. Check out our YouTube channel for more.
Olive: The Essence Media Hub
Mobile at Essence
Google Search App + Essence
Financial Times + Essence
method + Essence
I worked at Essence full-time (More than 3 years)
- The people. The people. The people! The people you work with are some of the smartest, kindest, most driven people you will ever have the pleasure to work with. They push you to grow and learn EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
- Every company likes to say their management cares about its people, but Essence senior leadership (at least those that have been around a while) are truly invested in making Essence a great place to work. The number of meetings they hold to try and understand their people and make them happier (which is no easy feat), is truly incredible!
- The work you do is incredibly challenging. But in the best way possible! It's definitely not for the faint of heart and you have to work hard to excel. But you learn so much working at Essence, and the skills you acquire are so invaluable when you leave.
- If you have ambition and work hard, there are so many opportunities up for grabs. The company is growing so fast, and so many new offices are opening across the globe.
- They were quicker to hire outside talent, rather than promote from within. But this was changing around the time I left.
- Compensation seemed to be a good bit lower than what other agencies were paying their employees.
- Long hours and sometimes a lot of pressure to do well, especially on the Google account.
Advice to Management
Keep listening to your employees. Continue to help them grow and learn. Talent is Essence's biggest asset, and the amazing, unique, and powerful culture the people create is one of many things that sets Essence apart from other agencies!
I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Essence (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2017.
First was a very quick 10-minute phone conversation with HR. She didn't learn much about me in 10 minutes... Then it was a Google Hangout interview in 3 parts. 1- A cultural-type interview. She asked me questions like what I do on the weekends to see if I'm a good cultural fit. Part 2- The most ridiculous part... a credit card math test, about a 4-part question which was read to you and you have to answer the questions on the spot. If you're not good at math (like me) good luck! Very difficult. Part 3- Behavioral questions, related more back to the position. I was impressed with the interview process, but didnt think the credit card case study was beneficial for them. They are missing out on a lot of good talent that way.