I worked at Gambling Commission as a contractor (More than a year)
- leadership open to new ideas and feedback
- diverse and inclusive; good support for everyone
- really good (and young!) female role models at Exec level
- commitment to people and organisational development
- really, really, really interesting work
- great people and culture
- city centre location 2 mins from New St station (if based in office; not everyone is).
- some negative and cynical voices who put forward lots of problems but see solutions as somebody else's job
- Chairman not amiable and some of Board a bit stuffy and nitpicking, including in areas which aren't for the NEDs to manage. Some behaviours of Board members have been unacceptable.
- too much squabbling and possessiveness over resources instead of getting on with job and working collaboratively
- some programme directors lack humour and are prone to fiddling while Rome burns.
Advice to Management
Sort out programme directors! Empower senior managers and managers more.
I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gambling Commission (Birmingham, England (UK)) in August 2014.
Competency based, at the head office. Three panel members who worked in the department I was applying to. Usually they have a member of HR present as well as someone from another department in order to make the interview process fair. Overall the interview process was straight forward and they were accommodating to the needs of the applicant.
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –