Mission: We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
I worked at Kiva (Less than a year)
- Great visibility in the org, as the role is to be responsible for Operations and work with Management Team to achieve this
- If work is slow, everyone is open to allowing an intern from this team to work on side projects
- Great network building opportunity: interns got job offers after connecting through a Kivan
- Great company culture: open office, dogs, snacks, genuinely caring individuals (Kiva Love = loosely put, word used to denote appreciation for others' kindness, generosity etc.)
- Work on this team is cyclical (might have changed since) as it surges during Ops Review
- (Plus or Minus) This team's responsibilities are not strictly defined, allowing for movement into other teams but also limiting when some tasks might have an internal facing component but a larger external facing component
Advice to Management
Management team is comprised of talented individuals focused on the present and the long term, but the team as a whole might benefit from checking in on each member's near-future vision and strategy.
I applied online. I interviewed at Kiva.
The interview process took several weeks. After the initial phone screening, I scheduled an in-person interview. I often found myself reaching out to the recruiter for updates after weeks had gone by.