I have been working at NGP VAN full-time (More than a year)
- I have worked in software for decades and have not found a better group of coworkers. All of them exceptionally good at what they do, at a company bound by purpose and passion. People who are friendly, have personality, a sense of humor, and also happen to be brilliant. I love love love my coworkers.
- Our clients. They are the good guys. Democrats and amazing non-profits. We are not building software for military contractors around here. We build great products for great clients that we are super proud to partner with.
- A place where you do you, and people appreciate you doing you, as long as you are also damn good at your job. Where there is no dress code (unless you count Cat Shirt Wednesday). Where there are free drinks (including social friday in office Happy Hour) and snacks. Where you can have a standing desk or not have a standing desk. Where we sometimes do yoga or do clay hand sculpting just because. Where people play on a softball team, or not, or sometimes organize paintball outings, or not, and it's all good. If you're gonna work hard, it's so nice to not have to spend time pretending to be someone else in order to fit into a scary corporate culture.
- Have you seen the gender diversity we have at the top of our roster?
- We work hard but there is a sincere and serious to taking care of one another. If you need to leave early or whatever to take care of the life you are expected to lead outside of work, it's not a problem because you are not a cog, you are a human being who is treated and valued as such. If you work many hours outside of normal business hours you will be proactively and sincerely asked to cut back because people care about you, don't want you to burn out, and want you to be part of an office culture that promotes work-life balance.
- Our products! We are an agile software company. We are constantly updating our products. Our products are beautiful and do cool things for cool people. You should buy them. (seriously. I don't work in marketing or sales, I swear, but you should buy them). The greatest reward for all of us is when our clients use and love our tools, and achieve great results like exceeding fundraising goals, generating calls and letters to Congress from their supporters, or even telling us that our tools are so much easier to use that they are able to have everyone on their team use the tools themselves instead of bottlenecking work through that one poor beleaguered "IT person" who was the only person who could figure out how to use the old software.
- This is not a place for slackers. That's not really a con I guess...
- I'm not a drinker so I want other choices on Social Friday and would like more fresh fruit so that I stop eating the tasty but less healthy snack choices.
- The tendency towards collaborative decision making can help ensure decisions are made well, but can be frustrating and take longer. It is a challenge to balance inclusion with decisive action.
Advice to Management
- As we grow it might help us to scale up by having clearer authority. Sometimes it's hard to follow the chain of command / organizational structure. I think we can do this without damaging our culture.
- Please buy us a new toaster. (kidding, not kidding)
I applied online. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Somerville, MA) in January 2011.
NGP VAN flew me to Boston a few days after a phone screen. The interview took about an hour and a half and consisted of three parts:
1) I was asked some really trivial OOP design questions that tested polymorphism.
2) I was asked basic SQL questions that cover everything from SELECTs to JOINs to HAVING.
3) I was asked to code Tic-Tac-Toe.
NGP VAN has been ranked as one of Inc Magazine's fastest growing companies in America for 10 years running. Take a look: http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQ7ZR
READ: Here's 8 Reasons Why You Should Come Work With Us at NGP VAN
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –