Mission: Nanigans believes in the in-house advertiser. Its mission is to arm marketing teams with the best software to manage, optimize, and measure their digital advertising in-house.
A Forward-Thinking Company
Founded in 2010 by veteran entrepreneurs from data warehousing and performance marketing, Nanigans is regarded as one of the most innovative companies in advertising technology today. By building scalable software that meets the specific in-house marketing needs of the world’s largest performance advertisers, Nanigans has earned a reputation for developing cutting-edge solutions to complex user acquisition and remarketing challenges. The company is disrupting the traditional agency and ad network model of media buying and is enabling new levels of efficiency and success in the process.
Built for In-House Advertisers
At the forefront of the in-house advertising movement, Nanigans arms marketing teams with the best software to manage their digital advertising in-house. For nearly five years, Nanigans has developed the industry-leading advertising automation software to empower CMOs to achieve their social and mobile performance marketing goals at scale. Nanigans is a leader among ecommerce, gaming, and other pure-play internet companies, enabling in-house teams to take control of their advertising through sophisticated workflow automation, predictive optimization, deep data integrations, and real-time and lifetime reporting tools.
Strategic to CMOs Worldwide
150+ of today’s largest and most successful performance marketers consider Nanigans software to be strategic to driving business goals such as finding lifelong customers and owning and acting upon customer insights faster than ever before. With a focus since its inception on world-class ROI measurement, attribution, and optimization technology, Nanigans is a badged Facebook Marketing Partner with specialties in Ad Technology and Facebook Exchange (FBX). Advertisers using Nanigans software benefit from direct programmatic access to Facebook, Instagram, Facebook Exchange, and MoPub.
Last month my boss and mentor, Cheryl Morris was published in the Harvard Business Review blog; it was the debut of Nanigans’ culture deck. In the post, Cheryl addressed the emerging trend of company culture decks and her process for creating Nanigans’ culture deck. I was fortunate enough to watch the the transformation of the deck from infancy to final product. The final result was a work of art, but the one thing that stuck to me was a quote by one of our Campaign Managers, which goes as follows:
“We don’t have co-workers, we have friends. Everyone genuinely enjoys each other’s company, has fun together and wants to hangout. The bonus is getting to come to work everyday with them.”
With these words in mind I went to my teammates at Nanigans to see why they worked at Nanigans. The answers varied, but the two trends that emerged were:
I asked a handful people why they worked at Nanigans and received the following quotes. Here are 10 reasons why you should join Nanigans (and they’re coming straight from Nanigans’ finest):
1) “I work with the smartest people in the industry on cutting edge technology. And of course, Friday morning waffles.” -Dana Baskin, Principal Engineer and Manager of UI Group
2) “For me it’s the industry we’re [Nanigans] is in–ad tech is never dull because it’s continually developing and shifting, which means I never stop learning. People outside of Nanigans always remark how cool my job is and it’s the truth!”-Laurie Bloom, Ad Operations Manager
3) “Best, funniest, and smartest people I’ve worked with, work here.” -Leo Laskin, QA Automation Architect
4) “1) I am never bored. 2) We [Nanigans] are working on something that actually works. We are providing real, measurable results for our customers which means we have a real, legitimate business plan. 3) It’s fun and casual, but everyone takes their job super seriously.” -Josh Breckman, Sr. Software Engineer
5) “This is such a great playground for people who have talents, but wouldn’t fit into a corporate hierarchy; this is a startup with great potential. I can get involved with a lot of projects and contribute visibly to the company’s daily success. This happens because the people at Nanigans are open minded (no matter what level they are) and appreciate your ideas and feedback.” -Sophie Cui, Senior Optimization Analyst
6) “Honestly, my overall thing would just be the people you work with, you won’t find anyone else like the people here and all under the same roof.” -Janina Tantoco, Sr. Campaign Manager
7)”Work on some of the hardest technical problems with some of the best talent in the industry.” -Mike Chalson, Machine Learning Software Engineer
8) “We get to play an integral role within the industry as an sPMD partner of Facebook, and work on projects that truly change the way performance marketers go to market across social and mobile. That and free lunch.”-Mike Earls, RVP of Sales
9) “Nanigans is a very entrepreneurial environment. Many people that I work with will go on to start companies, become venture capitalist and influence the start up community in general. I look forward to the days of investing into, and working with my current co-workers across my, and their careers.” -Per Sandell, VP of Product
10) “Great people in all cross functional groups, regardless of skillset—we’re a product/engineering/ops company; with the fun of Mad Men, but the seriousness of ad tech. It’s Don Draper meets Larry Page.” -John Marsland, SVP of Growth
At the core of Nanigans you’ll find a team of exceptional people dedicated to changing the advertising landscape.
I have been working at Nanigans full-time
-A lot of autonomy in your work environment
-Blue chip brands/some of the most exciting companies on the planet as clients
-Many employees go on to work for Facebook, Snapchat, or in-house performance marketing teams
-A product launch this year that is truly disruptive and is resonating with prospects
-Free lunch everyday plus unlimited PTO and great office/location in DTX
-The CEO cares an extreme amount about the product and changing the status quo within the industry
-In the past, their perhaps has not been as solid of vision for the company as it exists now, but the north star has been established and we're trying to move their at lightspeed
-Facebook has been marginalizing the FMP ecosystem and it's been tough on all FMPs (not just Nanigans) to keep up with the innovations at FB. However, this is why Nanigans is diversifying it's solutions and revenues to be truly cross-channel.
-Their has been turnover, but you'll see that at any start-up/tech company. Some hires ended up not working out or were great people, but just not right for a particular role.
If you're considering a role here worry about who your supervisor will be and the renewed focus of the company.
Advice to Management
-Stay focused and only build things that are strategic.
I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nanigans (Boston, MA) in February 2016.
The process consisted of an initial hour long meeting with the VP of Sales. I then met with a representative down in NYC. I then met with the CRO and 4-5 additional people from sales, account management, and product. Friendly environment with knowledgeable people. I was a bit disappointed with the follow up. I invested 6 or 7 hours of interviewing including taking time out of a trip to NYC to meet there too. They were responsive during the 2-3 weeks followed by utter silence.