Mission: We improve the market.
I have been working at Optiver full-time (More than 3 years)
- Intelligent and humble coworkers
- Great pay
- Engineers are promoted and paid based on merit. There is transparency regarding levels (junior, senior status, etc.) and your guess is likely correct about where others are.
- With everything in technology and trading constantly changing, there is much room for growth and taking on new responsibilities, even immediately after starting
- Everything is solid including culture in general, 401k, massages, breakfast, lunch, snacks, five weeks of vacation shortly after starting (which everyone actually takes), and yearly company trip
- Useless meetings are cut short or cut out; there is little opportunity for being bored
- Team leads aren’t simply middle managers; they've excelled at the role they are leading
- Expectations are extremely consistent: focus on clean, simple solutions, own the stack, grasp the feedback loop of development
- Making significant changes that affect trading can be stressful, though this is largely mitigated by frequent releases and having a plan if your solution is broken
Advice to Management
- An important and positive part of our culture is the blame-free environment where we collectively learn from our mistakes. Continue to encourage this.
I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver.
Ongoing, but first round was an 8 minute, 80 question test of arithmetic questions. It requires you to do quick mental math--multiplication, division, decimals, fractions--and to select the correct answer from four choices, though sometimes the choices are tricky or not in reduced form. I only answered 70 of the 80 in the 8 minutes, maybe got a couple wrong, and still passed.
Market making. It all started in 1626 on a bridge near Dam Square in Amsterdam. Learn more about the beginnings of market making and Optiver's purpose.
Calling all electrical and computer engineer majors: we're building out our hardware team and challenge you to apply your experience in fintech! http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQRHh