Mission: Make commerce easy.
Purpose: Economic Empowerment.
Top CEOs: 2017 (#38)
I worked at Square full-time (More than 5 years)
- Passionate, smart, and dedicated co-workers
- Opportunity for career growth
- Gorgeous offices
- Company has a clear sense of culture, and has worked hard on developing the right framework for decision making based on those cultural tenants
- Smart and capable leadership (on average)
- Inspiring CEO; very often felt like you were a part of something bigger than just "payments"
- HR department seemed to be in a constant state of disarray; understaffed, overworked, and lacking the right leadership. Not enough HR support for the company as a result.
- Often in-fighting amongst senior leadership team, causing drama and disruption to work
- CEO split between two jobs (Twitter and Square) meaning decisions took longer than they should, or were caught up in leadership swirl longer than they needed to be.
I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.
I had a phone interview with the hiring manager after my initial phone interview with one of their recruiters. This was by far the worst phone interview experience of my life. The hiring manager was late (no big deal), he was abrupt, he didn't let me finish answering his questions, and he was quite rude. What really striked me was his comment, and I quote: "I am sitting here scratching my head as to why you applied for this position", in the sense that I was overqualified and I didn't understand why I applied. I ended up not being called in for an in-person interview which probably is a blessing, since I don't know how anyone could work on a day-to-day basis which such a manager.
Be a Square ambassador to ensure every candidate has the best possible experience. http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQ4rF
Build people and business initiatives across Square. http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vQ4lX