Working at TNTP | Glassdoor

TNTP Overview

Brooklyn, NY
201 to 500 employees
1997
Nonprofit Organization
Education
Unknown / Non-Applicable
Unknown
TNTP believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. A national nonprofit founded by teachers, we help school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education ... Read more

TNTP Reviews

3.7
StarStarStarStarStar
Rating TrendsRating Trends
Recommend to a friend
Approve of CEO
TNTP CEO Dan Weisberg
Dan Weisberg
19 Ratings
  • "More Pros Than Cons"

    StarStarStarStarStar
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Las Vegas, NV
    Recommends
    Positive Outlook
    No opinion of CEO

    I worked at TNTP full-time (More than a year)

    Pros

    Fast-track teacher certification for degrees outside of Education.
    Recognition as a licensed teacher and eligible for full-time salary with benefits.
    Yearlong virtual and classroom coaching.
    Online coursework to develop teaching skills.
    You build a strong network with your cohort peers and training staff.
    It is a tough, rigorous program, but one can make it work if truly called to the teaching profession.

    When reading posts that complain about the money that TNTP gets from school districts and charging Teaching Fellows tuition, consider this: Teaching Fellows who successfully complete the 6-week summer training (PST or Pre-Service Training) receive an Alternative License which allows us to teach. This is at no cost to you. It's true that many people relocate and are responsible for living expenses during PST, but that's the choice we make if we want to become teachers. Academy coursework and in-person seminars begin in the fall and tuition is assessed for this portion. The State Department of Education requires student teaching and specific coursework in order to have the Alternative license upgraded to a Standard license in the future. Most people who come through this program do not have degrees in teacher education and if you take courses at a local college, it will cost more than TNTP's tuition.

    Cons

    You only receive 6 weeks training before being placed in your own classroom.
    PST is very fast-paced and focused on classroom management. The latter is helpful, but not always. They told us that "Teach Like a Champion" (TLaC) techniques were likely to work on 90% of students. I was hired at a school where most of the students represented the other 10%. I had to work a lot harder to bring my classroom to order, but over time the techniques were helpful.
    TNTP has a lot of rules, but they are not always enforced (see below).

    Advice to Management

    Hold everyone accountable to the same standards. It's understandable that you are trying to retain teachers and work with them, but follow through if you give a deadline for testing requirements to be completed. Several Teaching Fellows went through the program without passing Praxis or other tests and went on to be long-term substitute teachers. This diminishes the image of the program - you recruit the "best" but keep people who are unable to pass the reading, writing, or math portions of their tests. With the course modules, we were advised to treat it like college coursework and put effort into online assignments. Enforce that expectation! Some Teaching Fellows worked really hard while others put in little or no effort (one can tell based on the quality of Blackboard Discussion posts). Everyone in the cohort can see the required posts and there were people who received licensure without meeting the coursework requirements.

See All 69 Reviews

TNTP Interviews

Experience

Experience
41%
25%
32%

Getting an Interview

Getting an Interview
84%
9%
2%
1
1

Difficulty

3.6
Average

Difficulty

Hard
Average
Easy
  1.  

    Teaching Fellow Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    Declined Offer
    Neutral Experience
    Easy Interview

    Application

    I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP.

    Interview

    I began this process feeling positive and thrilled. The phone interview was pretty much disappointing since they didn't not seem as excited to get to know me more.

    Interview Questions

    • What would you do if the printer at school did not work?   Answer Question
See All 78 Interviews

TNTP Awards & Accolades

  • 10 Companies That Want to Hire You Now (and Feed You Good Food!), The Muse, 2015
  • 2015 Top 100 Remote Work Companies to Watch, FlexJobs, 2015
See More

Work at TNTP? Share Your Experiences

TNTP
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
 
Click to Rate
or